DIY front drive shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.myspace.com
Is it or would it be feasible to make a square tube front driveshaft using two cardan joints one on either end with 5" of lift?

As long as your not going to ever need 4wd over 30mph. They are a bit noisy too.

This is not for AWD rigs and possibly snow and sand, anywhere your speed is erratic.

The reason I said snow is because I like to lock my hubs in the event, and I can choose to engage 4WD or in dry, higher speed areas 2WD. If your hubs are locked or AWD the shaft will spin. It don't take no Rocket scientist to know the square tube shaft is not balanced, and will shake your teeth out at speed.

Its a great, simple, get you home in a pinch, mod that IIRC the first article I saw it in, the guy had it where it could work in the front or the rear

He only needed one spare.

use just a u joint on each end. you will not be running in 4 wheel drive over 30 I hope. I wish that I had with my wifes and may redo it.
when I unbolt the drive shaft it binds up about 6 inchs below the diff. I would like more movement then that.

I also ran three lines of braze down each side.. not rattleing yet!
had to grind the brass a bit so it would slid in nice and tight.
HPIM0576.jpg

HPIM0577.jpg

HPIM0579.jpg

line this part up square for phasing. This is a short piece of the inner to line up the larger outer. just weld the inside.

HPIM0580.jpg

HPIM0582.jpg

HPIM0583.jpg

HPIM0584.jpg

HPIM0585.jpg

HPIM0586.jpg

HPIM0592.jpg

HPIM0593.jpg

oh and the sliding end of the outer shaft. don't leave a sharp edge. grind it out to a pretty good ramp. so when you drop it onto a rock it won't bind up.

Last edited:
this is for my project 87 trail only truck. so a lil vibrating is ok not gunna be haulin ass on the trail. reason I ask about the two cardan joints is to gain a lil more angle if that makes sense?

Nice write-up Albin. I'm doing mine tomorrow evening so I can wheel this weekend. I'll still vibrate with the rear for a while until I can get that CV done but in due time!

cheers

One of the guys that I work with built his out of a pto shaft.That might be another option also if some of you country boys :lol: have them laying around.

One of the guys that I work with built his out of a pto shaft.That might be another option also if some of you country boys :lol: have them laying around.

My dad brought that to my attention, as we were shopping in Tractor Supply for parts on our buggy when there was a 4wheelparts across the street, funny thing is, the cashier says he sees more people with 4wheeldrives in there than at the 4wheelparts store...

As long as your not going to ever need 4wd over 30mph. They are a bit noisy too.

Nah. I have done about 55 MPH in the snow in 4 high with a square front and it wasnt loud nor did it vibrate at all. Mine makes a clank clank from time to time and thats it. If you make your shaft very precisely they wont make much noise at all. my friend made mine for me and it was probably his 9th or 10th that he made. very quiet, very little vibration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom