DIY Fishing Rod Holders? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On a related topic, do you know of any reasonably priced surf casting rods that break down like that? I'm trying to figure out if I should get a couple before an OBX trip in April. I only own small tackle for inland fresh water stuff, from 4wt fly rods up to casting/spinning gear you could catch a lake trout on. I've never owned surf tackle, and the ones I've used from a friend had humongous two piece poles and heavy reels (I'd try to borrow his stuff, but he's going to the Delaware shore the same week). We'll have a very full vehicle with 3 people, an XL RTT eating up the roof space, and all the gear for a week of camping, so space will be at a premium. As an alternative, I suspect we can probably rent gear (?).

Renting a rod is usually very inexpensive, you may want to go that route if available. There is not just the rod, but also the reel. Plus likely give you opportunity to talk with the local on what works and best times and places.

As you know, the location, correct bait and time of day are most import factors. Fish where the fish are LOL. The cheep rod and can catch a good fish.

Saltwater surf rods for travel Okuma or Daiwa are excellent and of course Penn.

I would bring a PVC sand spike, they likely don't rent one of those.

Most the the break down rods are approx. 34" so they fit the drawers.

The locals here that surf fish usually have a piece of PCV strapped to the roof rack, and stick the rod in that. They use the rods that don't break down.

I definitely recommend braid if you end up buying your own, I haven't run mono on anything but our 80W offshore rods in years. Take or rent a kayak and you can put one of the kids to work paddling out your baits if you don't have a true surf casting rod to get it out there. I second renting if there is an outfit in the area doing so.

I definitely recommend braid if you end up buying your own, I haven't run mono on anything but our 80W offshore rods in years. Take or rent a kayak and you can put one of the kids to work paddling out your baits if you don't have a true surf casting rod to get it out there. I second renting if there is an outfit in the area doing so.

Braid with a 3-4' mono or flouro rig for the toothy critters. Tie some dropper and carolina rigs with the mon-flouro to clip on and get some fresh shrimp of fish chunks to start with. I use 20# flouro for my leaders and rigs. #1 , 1/0 or 2/0 circle hooks and go from there.

Twist 2 bungee cords together and string them between the Oh, s*** handles. Do this for the second and third row. Cheap. Easy to take in and out.
Of note, I removed my rear seat belts and replaced the upper bolts with eye bolts. Just another attachment point.

This is almost exactly what I do in both the 100 and 200. Can't use a rod vault with the rtt attached, so inside the truck they go. Spending $3 is better than spending $250 like 99.9% of the time.

Braid with a 3-4' mono or flouro rig for the toothy critters. Tie some dropper and carolina rigs with the mon-flouro to clip on and get some fresh shrimp of fish chunks to start with. I use 20# flouro for my leaders and rigs. #1 , 1/0 or 2/0 circle hooks and go from there.

Definitely, a 3-4' flouro leader on a snap swivel is key, braid for the main line.

Thanks guys...
Now I am sitting here at work, looking out at this dreary day, day dreaming of fishing!

I know you asked for DIY, but I purchased a Riverquiver from Riversmith and can't say enough good things about it.

IMG_1745.jpeg

I run a setup similar to @jivewalker with the bungees running across both the middle and rear handles, respectively. I have run only up to 4 rods this way and will try to secure them from moving around too much. You can *kinda* see it in this pic

Additionally, wanted to share my 5 lb bass here in Central TX

View attachment 2959956

View attachment 2959961

Looks like you got the whole catch and cook setup! She’s got a belly on her! I think I’ll go the bungie route for the time being as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom