DIY Cat Cage for Theft Protection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Though this might be useful for anyone looking to add some theft protection for their catalytic converters. I recently had mine stolen and it was a pain to get them replaced because of a shop that did unauthorized poorly done work (long story). Anyway, I'm hoping I never have to go through this again, so I built this after reading about cat protection from sliders. I used a combination of 1/8" and 3/16" thick 1 1/2" wide flat bar (purchased from Home Depot). I used a tube bender and a vice/mallet to get these bent into shape. And, I don't weld, so I bolted everything together using stainless hardware. I basically built two halves so I can remove it if necessary.

If I had to do this again, I would use all 3/16" flat bar or maybe even 1/4". The 1/8" bar is a little thin for it's purpose - which is to provide an obstacle for a saw. The cage is bolted to the rocker panel where the cat heat shield connected. And, the inside half of the cage bolts to the rear cat mount. Not sure if the rocker panel is good mounting point given the potential damage. I would think mounting the inside to the frame is probably a better idea.

Hope this helps somebody...

20221025_121754.jpg

20221025_121819.jpg

Creative! Good visual deterrent if nothing else.

Though this might be useful for anyone looking to add some theft protection for their catalytic converters. I recently had mine stolen and it was a pain to get them replaced because of a shop that did unauthorized poorly done work (long story). Anyway, I'm hoping I never have to go through this again, so I built this after reading about cat protection from sliders. I used a combination of 1/8" and 3/16" thick 1 1/2" wide flat bar (purchased from Home Depot). I used a tube bender and a vice/mallet to get these bent into shape. And, I don't weld, so I bolted everything together using stainless hardware. I basically built two halves so I can remove it if necessary.

If I had to do this again, I would use all 3/16" flat bar or maybe even 1/4". The 1/8" bar is a little thin for it's purpose - which is to provide an obstacle for a saw. The cage is bolted to the rocker panel where the cat heat shield connected. And, the inside half of the cage bolts to the rear cat mount. Not sure if the rocker panel is good mounting point given the potential damage. I would think mounting the inside to the frame is probably a better idea.

Hope this helps somebody...

View attachment 3150458

View attachment 3150459
I can have the cats out of there in a few minutes. Two saw cuts and I can bend back your end pieces easily and pull the cats out through the front end.

Make another flatbar to bolt together the "loose" ends and make them more rigid. Front end and rear end.

Otherwise, nice concept.

Yeah - you're probably right. When I built this I was only hoping it would act as a deterrent. But, given how tough it is to ben 3/16" steel (at least for me) I was thinking it would take 4-5 properly placed saw cuts to get these out. Hopefully cat thieves aren't as smart as you!

Criminals take the path of least resistance. Almost every truck or suv that they can roll under has a cat. They won't know if they can or can't break through your cage until they are close enough for it to be too late. Id imagine its highly effective.

All it needs to be is harder than the truck sitting next to you.

Thieves are lazy. That's why they steal other people's stuff.

I love it!!!!!

I wonder how hard it would be to heat treat something like that to make the mild steel harder.

It could definitely be defeated with a Sawzall but that should still be a major deterrent.

Maybe weld some razor blades on it lol

I love it!!!!!

I wonder how hard it would be to heat treat something like that to make the mild steel harder.

It could definitely be defeated with a Sawzall but that should still be a major deterrent.

Maybe weld some razor blades on it lol
Just mount a Claymore up under there that has a trip wire that is armed after the ignition is shut off. That oughta do it.

Looks good enough to deter your average, meth-addled, opportunistic thief.

Maybe you could add a conductive later sandwiched by insulation and wire it to a squib. When a saw completes the circuit to ground, *bang* the thief thinks he's being shot at.

Last edited:
looks like a medieval chastity belt. I like it! It may only slow down a thief but sometimes that's all you need.
Exactly my first thought… 😂

Looks good enough u deter your average, meth-addled, opportunistic thief.

Maybe you could add a conductive later sandwiched by insulation and wire it to a squib. When a saw completes the circuit to ground, *bang* the thief thinks he's being shot at.
or an ignition coil and fry them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom