DIY 2nd Row Fire Extinguisher Mount (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few weeks ago I decided to install a fire extinguisher in my truck, and I thought I'd share what I came up with as I haven't seen another one like it here on Mud.

I just bought a piece of 14 gauge flat steel, cut to 2" x 14" by my local metal shop. It was less than $8. You'll need four 1/2" long 1/4" bolts, nuts and washers to attach the mount to the flat metal piece you are going to bolt into your truck, using the 2 existing center-most bolt holes for the second row seats. You'll need to mount the heads of the 1/4" bolts on the up side and the nuts toward the carpet, or the extinguisher can't sit down in the mount all the way for a secure fit.

Then I got a Kidde 2 lb. fire extinguisher, here's the link to the same one I bought for under $20 at Harbor Freight:
2 lb. Fire Extinguisher - Silver

This is the mount I used, which I don't believe Harbor Freight carries, but which Home Depot sells for about $8:
Kidde 2.5 lbs. A:B:C Multiple Use Fire Extinguisher Retention Bracket-21010541 - The Home Depot

I wanted a more secure mount, so I bought some "heavy duty" (quotes meaning I think terms like that are tossed around with dubious meaning) velcro straps and ran the 1/4" bolts through them. I set it up so the velcro tabs are facing me as I sit in the driver's seat and can be pulled up for access, and the straps sit behind the metal pieces. I actually singed the last 1/2" or so of the hook side so it would not grip and would sit at attention for a quick grab. (Mud OCD.) They're the perfect length at 15" and required no cutting or sewing, I just burned small holes for the straps with a camp stove and a piece of a wire coat hanger.
Straps:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B072LV2M6L/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The bolts are, I believe, M14 1.25 pitch, 30mm length. I used a few flats washers behind the flat metal to raise the fabricated flat metal piece so it would not get warped by the mounts around the seat bolts.

What I wish I had done differently:
I should have used 1/8" flat steel rather than 14 gauge. My flat metal piece is a bit too thin, and it was trying to distort while I drilled the four small and 2 large holes through it. Just get a piece of 1/8" metal, 2" by 14", and you'll be all set.

All in all, it feels very secure to me, and I'm glad I have what I consider a secure, inexpensive and accessible fire extinguisher in my rig now. I can reach it and remove it while seated in the driver's seat with no problem. Bear in mind you cannot fold the second row seats forward with the extinguisher mounted this way. You can fold them flat but not do the second roll forward behind the front seats.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to this forum! I have learned a lot here. I hope this idea helps someone else out.

-Russ

20181219_201407.jpg
20181220_160411.jpg
20181220_160623.jpg

No footroom issues over here. It's usually just my two boys in that row, one on each side. If you had three adults in the second row I think it would be a bummer for the middle passenger footroom wise.

Yes the second row seats folded flat don't get near the extinguisher.

Can you fold the 2nd row seats forward with it there?

He posted in the first post that it created an obstacle for the seat to fold I believe.

I put one under the driver seat of mine a little while ago, I ended up putting the gauge facing down to protect it from damage and then leaks, easy enough to pull it and check the pressure level once or twice a year if I want regardless. I figure the chances of breaking the gauge are higher than it developing a slight leak suddenly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom