distributor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The magnetic-pickup coil in my dizzy has had a melt-down. The plastic looking cover has turned soft and squishy. did the same last year. Any ideas?

Fuzzy;

There is either a wiring problem from the ignitor or u left ur key turned on too long with out the engine running. Maybe a weird short from/or inside the ignitor that is applying 12volts to the hot side of the induction coil, all the time.

FJ40Jim said:
Are you referring to the snap on shield that says "do not remove"?

They always delaminate, especially w/ exposure to HC fumes.

Yes, the shield well the hole thing really. HC fumes? crankcase vapors?

HC= hydrocarbon.... more commonly known as (blow-by) to some folks....

Is your venting system in working order? Do you have 2 hoses connected to your dist. cap? If so where do you have them connected ?

What hoses?:frown:

If HCs cause the parts to fail? Are the new replacements any better?

Fuzzy Logic said:
If HCs cause the parts to fail? Are the new replacements any better?
Not that I can see. New parts look exactly like 20 year old parts.

The key is to keep the inside of the dissy free of HC and ozone. The dissy ventilation system needs to work properly to keep corrosive gases from building up inside.

FJ40Jim said:
Not that I can see. New parts look exactly like 20 year old parts.

The key is to keep the inside of the dissy free of HC and ozone. The dissy ventilation system needs to work properly to keep corrosive gases from building up inside.
Oh! I Seee said the blind man to jim C. I have a dizzy cap w/2 holes in it but they are pluged. The joker I bought the cruiser from installed a weber and small air cleaner & desmoged it. So what would you do if this was your mess? Thanks-------:doh:

OK, another question. Why don't HCs effect HEI or Pertronix dizzy parts? I know several others that are running them w/ no prob-blem-os. :confused: Thanks----

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom