Distributor (which diaphram) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well as I was refurbishing the engine in the cruiser, I managed to break the diaphram on the distributor. I would like to order a new one from Specter, but I am weary on which one I need to get. This is a pic of it when I bought it. May or may not be in the correct position. Main thing is that it does not go all the way through the housing and no octane adjuster or anything.

hopefully this works.
DSC00051.JPG

Here is a list of what Specter offers.

diaphram list

The engine is a 10/71' and the cruiser is a 66'. For whatever reason I think it should be retard but the year does not match up, I also cannot find the pic on here that I have seen that showed a bunch of distributors together. I know this style was on the pic. I would just like to make sure I order the right one. (No return on used parts).

Any DEFINITE knowledge appreciated. Michael

Micheal, The picture is of a vacuum advance dist. HTH, Earl

sorry

but im going to say you have a retard dizy, i would go out and find a NON-USA one. Hay you want to switch motors i hava a 69 with a pre-67' motor in it. haha lol

but i would try to find a vacuum advance dizy, they just have the diaphram on the other side

I have a vacuum retard distributor you can have for the postage. It does not have a gear on it, so you'll have to save your old one. It has a new cap, plugwires, rotor, points AND condenser. I did the HEI conversion.

Ed

You are always looking out Ed. Thanks a bunch. Is that the same as what is pictured.

I have already put new everything into this one as well. Would be nice to just swap the diaphram.
But I will take the whole thing off of your hands to get the diaphram. Or if need be I could just swap gears too. Let me know

And I am not trying to throw all the goodies at this thing. Just clean simple stock parts to get it running is good enough for me. So keeping what I got.

Any diaphram from 69-73 vacuum retard should swap, so Ed's should work.

BUT WHY BOTHER?

You might as well stick a potato in your exhaust pipe! :doh: The only thing I would put an ounce of energy into on a vacuum retard dizzy would be pulling it out for a vacuum advance one. :)

Would I get any ill effects from running with no diaphram instead of having a retarded one. :)

I would like to swap it out later, I am just trying to get this thing complete for now, and will go from there, after I have title, tags, insurance, tires that dont go flat after 1 day, the leaky exhaust fixed,
lights, headlights, taillights, marker lights, :) ..........and on and on

I ran no timing on my 78 2F for a long time, I had blown the diaphragm as you have. From what I understand, an engine with no timing is only ever at it's correct timing at one RPM, I had mine timed so it idled a little rough, and was good in the mid RPM range, and then poor again at high RPMs. I just recently got a used one with the advance diaphragm. It was a bigger difference than I thought it was going to be. I would get the proper distributor over running no timing advance/retard, whichever is correct for your motor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom