Distributor Tech - '75 through '77 Conversion to Electronic Ignition Using Toyota/NipponDenso Parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Cruisers

SILVER Star
Threads
This evening I finished upgrading a lightly used 2015 Trollhole electronic distributor using Toyota/NipponDenso parts. I replaced the stationary (breaker) plate with a '78 through '80 2F stationary plate, replaced the electronics with a new Camry (Celica, not Camry - it was late at night when I posted this) signal generator, and adjusted the Trollhole advancer to closely match the vacuum advance curve of the '77 2F advancer (same advance curve as the main diaphragm in the '78 through '80 2F advancers). I also installed a new OEM O-ring, rotor, and distributor cap. It will require a '78 through '87 2F coil and igniter, but not a dented side cover - it's the same dimensions of the medium cap 2F distributor. If the weather cooperates tomorrow (it just finished snowing outside) I'll swap it into the 2F in my '76 FJ40 and take it out for a spin. My '76 has already been converted to FJ60 electronic ignition. If it performs well I'll be posting it for sale here in the MUD classifieds.

Here are a couple of photos:

Trollhole-1.jpg

Trollhole-2.jpg

Last edited:
Funny, you took a trollhole dissy and made it more OEM. I'm running a 77 vac advance dissy in my 73 1F that I swapped over the trollhole trigger rotor and electronic trigger to the OEM advancer plate and the OEM adjustable vacuum advance diaphragm. I also widened the OEM advance stop plate hole to get 18 degrees of advance. I did all of this as the 2F trollhole carb, after lots of testing, would not produce anywhere near enough advance for the 1F, or even as advertised. I didn't like the cheesy advance plate and weights in it either, and the fit of the cam gear looked so so to me. I even mixed up some springs from a vac retard 2F dissy to get a more aggressive curve out of it.

It seems to work well but I get an intermittent high speed miss over 3000+ RPM on a hard pull. I need to replace the cap and rotor with new OEM, the old original parts may be suspect, but I also suspect the integrity of the trigger. I wish I had a distributor machine available to play with. Free revving in the garage and tracking timing compared to RPM has been my test bed, when I get up over 3200 RPM timing starts to bounce all over the place. I don't have the testicular fortitude to rev the old 1F up over more than 3500 in the garage standing with the timing light dialing it in and such with the fan roaring and crank ready to fly out. OEM specs show advance curve all the way out to 4000 of course. My testing has shown they get pretty flat past 3500.

My next steps, (if I ever find the time) was to try a petronix, and OEM points in this hybrid distributor, and a older worn pre 69 distributor I have and compare performance on my old 1F. Old vac advance 1F performed well, and had a great curve on my 1F, but the points kept drifting out of time. The shaft does not seem that worn, but it must be, it kept developing a miss. That is why I built my hybrid distributor with electronic trigger.

This is a great design idea to get a small cap in with the Toyota electronic ignition. Now we just need a good source or dependable alternative for the ignitor/coil combo required. I can't recall, is the Camry pickup the same part as the FJ60? The dwell and such was controlled by the ignitor wasn't it and not the pickup?

It would be nice to have a distributor machine.

Per FJ40Jim, the Celica signal generator is the same as the FJ60 but with a different feedthrough. The Trollhole distributor's housing allows the use of the Celica signal generator without having to modify the grommet - it fits right in.

I've also converted an FJ60 distributor to points, so it can be used in pre-'78 F and 2F engines without the need for an igniter.

UPDATE:

I'm wrapping up the refurbishment of a '75/'76 2F distributor this weekend, utilizing the approach outlined above. It'll incorporate an early '80s Celica signal generator, a '78 through '80 cam and breaker plate, and a NipponDenso vacuum advance with an advance curve similar to the '77 2F distributor. I'll post some photos later today or tomorrow.

'75/'76 2F vacuum retard points distributor 19100-61020 converted to Toyota electronic ignition, with vacuum advance - maybe one-of-a-kind. Here are some in-progress photos and a photo of the finished product:

19100-61020-Electronic-1.jpg

19100-61020-Electronic-2.jpg

19100-61020-Electronic-3.jpg

19100-61020-Electronic-4.jpg

19100-61020-Electronic-5.jpg

I was looking at @Coolerman's Dizzy FAQ page again this morning and realized I was able to pull off what's mentioned in the section on the "later 76-77" distributors.

You are talking about an electronic conversion, Denso style?

If so, maybe electronic ignition will kill the radio noise at higher rpm, and let me not worry about leaving the key in the 'On' position?

All NipponDenso parts, with the exception of the SMP Made in Japan signal generator. Many prefer electronic ignition over points. I don't know about the radio interference question.

I've got a Jan of 75' dizzy with the vacuum retard, and I would really like to take advantage of some timing advance. Right now I'm running static timing with the diaphragm unused.

'75/'76 2F vacuum retard points distributor 19100-61020 converted to Toyota electronic ignition, with vacuum advance - maybe one-of-a-kind. Here are some in-progress photos and a photo of the finished product:

View attachment 2649257

I've got this distributor sitting next to me on my desk and it is a absolute beauty. Now I just need to figure which project is worthy of getting it!

@cruisermatt @4Cruisers I have a 1985 FJ60 that has a distributor in need of repair, most of the internals are crusty and rusty. Can ya'll recommend a good place to get parts? I've found a cap and rotor but can't find any of the other internals. Thanks in advance!

IMG_3388.jpg

@cruisermatt @4Cruisers I have a 1985 FJ60 that has a distributor in need of repair, most of the internals are crusty and rusty. Can ya'll recommend a good place to get parts? I've found a cap and rotor but can't find any of the other internals. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 2798287
That doesn't look too bad. Do you have one of those hand held impact drivers? You'll probably need one to remove the two small machine screws holding the breaker plate in place and the two machine screws holding the signal generator in place. The breaker plate is easy to disassemble, clean, re-grease, and reassemble. If the inner surfaces of the races aren't pitted, sometimes replacing the 46 small bearings is all you need to do, but sometimes even they can be reused. Your stop pin bushing probably needs to be replaced, but a generic hardware store 1/4" OD by 1/4" long nylon spacer for a #8 screw works fine.

You can check out the signal generator by measuring the resistance at the plus, it should be between 100 and 200 ohms. Most of the ones I've seen are in the 160 ohm to 170 ohm range.

Does your vacuum advancer work and hold vacuum? If not, I sell new NipponDenso single diaphragm advancers that'll work. From time to time I also have good used dual diaphragm advancers.

After you disassemble and clean everything send me a PM with what parts you need, I'll probably have them.

That doesn't look too bad. Do you have one of those hand held impact drivers? You'll probably need one to remove the two small machine screws holding the breaker plate in place and the two machine screws holding the signal generator in place. The breaker plate is easy to disassemble, clean, re-grease, and reassemble. If the inner surfaces of the races aren't pitted, sometimes replacing the 46 small bearings is all you need to do, but sometimes even they can be reused. Your stop pin bushing probably needs to be replaced, but a generic hardware store 1/4" OD by 1/4" long nylon spacer for a #8 screw works fine.

You can check out the signal generator by measuring the resistance at the plus, it should be between 100 and 200 ohms. Most of the ones I've seen are in the 160 ohm to 170 ohm range.

Does your vacuum advancer work and hold vacuum? If not, I sell new NipponDenso single diaphragm advancers that'll work. From time to time I also have good used dual diaphragm advancers.

After you disassemble and clean everything send me a PM with what parts you need, I'll probably have them.
Awesome, thank you. Yes the vac advance works although it seems a little sluggish but it works. I appreciate your willingness to help!

I now have two more medium cap distributors available for conversion, a 1/75 through 8/76 2F distributor (19100-61020) and a 9/73 through 1/75 California spec F distributor (19100-60080). I have all of the needed parts on hand, for both the electronic ignition and vacuum advance conversions. PM me if interested in either (or both :)) of theses distributors. I'll post them in the classifieds also.

I finished assembling another conversion parts kit, this time for a fellow MUD member's '76 FJ40. I modified a new breaker plate from a Toyota 4M distributor to accept an aftermarket Lucas signal generator. The cam is a used FJ60 cam. I temporarily installed the parts in a spare '75 2F distributor to ensure form, fit, and function.

Conversion Parts - 1.jpg

Conversion Parts - 3.jpg

Now assembling the parts needed to convert another MUD member's 19100-61180 3F distributor to Toyota electronic ignition. I'll post photos of the finished project in a week or so. It will be one of a kind for sure.

As promised, a few photos of a brand new 19100-61180 3F distributor (purchased from City Racer) that has been converted to Toyota electronic ignition. The distributor will be installed in another MUD member's FJ60 so his stock distributor can be sent off for @FJ40Jim to work his magic. It will then serve as a spare. It will be a simple plug and play swap using his stock wiring and coil/igniter. The swap will require the use of an early 2F mounting clamp, which is part of the package.

Once all the parts were ready, the conversion took about an hour to complete. All conversion parts are OEM Toyota parts. I installed a good used FJ60 signal generator (resistance measured at 163.9 ohms) and cover. The connector housing is a reproduction part furnished by @ToyotaMatt - thanks! The male wiring terminals are from @Coolerman. The 3F distributor comes with an anti-overrun type rotor, which interferes with the signal generator and cover, so it will be replaced with an early 2F rotor. I have one coming in the mail from toyotapartsdeal.com on Monday, so it's not shown in the photos.

19100-61180 Modified - 1.jpg

19100-61180 Modified - 2.jpg

19100-61180 Modified - 3.jpg

As promised, a few photos of a brand new 19100-61180 3F distributor (purchased from City Racer) that has been converted to Toyota electronic ignition. The distributor will be installed in another MUD member's FJ60 so his stock distributor can be sent off for @FJ40Jim to work his magic. It will then serve as a spare. It will be a simple plug and play swap using his stock wiring and coil/igniter. The swap will require the use of an early 2F mounting clamp, which is part of the package.

Once all the parts were ready, the conversion took about an hour to complete. All conversion parts are OEM Toyota parts. I installed a good used FJ60 signal generator (resistance measured at 163.9 ohms) and cover. The connector housing is a reproduction part furnished by @ToyotaMatt - thanks! The male wiring terminals are from @Coolerman. The 3F distributor comes with an anti-overrun type rotor, which interferes with the signal generator and cover, so it will be replaced with an early 2F rotor. I have one coming in the mail from toyotapartsdeal.com on Monday, so it's not shown in the photos.

View attachment 3412223

View attachment 3412224

View attachment 3412225

- on-topic update of sorts :

- below are my latest renditions of the above ...

- these are the same exact connectors i use my reproduction 21062-61060 / 61062-61061 repair kit , they are simply marvelous

- they will be made available to @4Cruisers to further along his little 19100- guy above i have code named
" Miracle " :D
- that is all ...
1693186280617.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom