Distributor squeal maybe (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally assembled my 93 back after head job. Still need to set the timing, I believe it’s 3 degrees.
Problems now it sounds like my dizzy is squealing. I’ve eliminated the belts already even though it sounds just like it. Ive replaced cap and rotor as part of tune up.
It never made any noise before. I’m not sure if it’s a rotor grinding on a cap or distributor bearing going out.

This is tough to diagnose with just this.

Any way of posting a video as it's running and moving the camera around and up and down the engine compartment?

I’ll try tomorrow. I’ve take the dizzy out again. No shaft play. Put the rotor and cap on and try to spin it by hand as fast as I can. No noise.
Took the truck out for the first time and what I’ve noticed is when engine is under even slightest load the noise goes away. Even feathering the throttle a little does the trick. Perhaps it is a belt or pulley after all. Going to take the belts off and run it tomorrow to see if there’s any noise. Fingers crossed for belt.

Run a bar of soap on your belts while it's running and it should quiet any squeeks, easier than removing belts.

I’ll give it a try. Thanks for the tip. Been a real PITA having to do a head job all by myself, now that it’s all done it’s frustrating having issue like that.

I’ve sprayed wd40 all over with no luck. What confuses me it that squealing noise never changes pitch regardless of RPM. It’s completely gone while under load though.

Could the little radio cooling fan in the dash be it? I assume the motor runs well, but could it be a vacum leak sucking wind? Just spit balling

I would check all the accessories and bearings next, ie alternator, idler pulleyz, ac compressor etc.

That is what I would as well. Take off the ac or alt belts or da boat a dem

Ruled out belts and pulleys. Sounds is coming from distributor. Going to replace cap and rotor again.

never thought it was distributor so its always nice to hear what it really was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom