Distributor rebuild questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On a small-cap fully electronic distributor from a 79 2F...

The advance weights appear to have some sort of bushing, the ones I removed look a little sad. I haven't checked Toyota, should I? I noticed SOR doesn't list anything.

When I reassemble I was going to use motor oil to prelube the shaft bushings. But what about the breaker plate ball bearings and the "upper" shaft? Is a bit of regular old grease okay?

Any advice welcome.

***On a small-cap fully electronic distributor from a 79 2F...***

Matt; Got any pics? My '79 distributor was in storage that was flooded; which left the dist a little rusty but still looks ok. I'm thinking of taking it apart and giving it a good cleaning. Toy dealer want $675 for a new one, which means that they are gold plating the gadget. How hard is it to take apart? I have a little Amsoil grease that I'm going to us for the bearing - can't see that hurting anything.

David in Denver

Disassembly is pretty straightforward. Before you do anything I would check the vacuum advance on it. I'm not sure if these are still available (if they are they're pricey), but if yours is bad, finding another used unit is probably easier and cheaper.

If you take apart the breaker plate, be mindful of not losing any of the ball bearings.

Toughest part is making sure you don't strip the screws, which is tough when everythings rusted solid. A good soak in PB Blaster will help.

Hope this helps! If you still need pics, let me know, I could probably take some before I reassemble.

Thanks Matt; yea, the vacuum advance might be a problem, will have to figure it out. Pics would be nice, but don't put yourself out.
David in Denver

FJ40Jim discussed this bushing in a previous thread on dizzy rebuilding. You could try a thread search. IIRC, he makes his own bushings to use when he rebuilds them at his shop. Hth

fj40Matt said:
When I reassemble I was going to use motor oil to prelube the shaft bushings. But what about the breaker plate ball bearings and the "upper" shaft? Is a bit of regular old grease okay?

Well, I used regular grease a couple years ago and it seems to be holding up fine.

Whoops! I'm a search tard, I missed that one the first time. Thanks Mark! :)

Here it is: https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=44637&highlight=bushing

That addresses the stop pin, which is good to know, but what about the governor weights? My distributor has a little rubber sleeves that slide over the governor weight pins.

This distributor also happens to be a Cardone rebuild I purchased a couple years ago, so who knows what those guys did. :(

David, here's a couple pics. My camera isn't too good for closeups, so its tough to see very much.
dist parts 1.jpg
dist parts 2.jpg

Thanks Matt, can't ask for anything better...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom