Distributor off a tooth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Krondor

SILVER Star
Threads
1965 FJ40.

Can a distributor be installed a tooth off? I have my Distributor installed and turned all the way where it is interfering with the oil dip stick. The truck will barely start and it feels as though it needs to be turned slightly more counter clockwise but the oil dip stick is in the way. Could it be a tooth off or am I doing something wrong?

1628885442515.png

Thanks.

Yes, bring it back up on tdc on the comp stroke and see where the rotor is pointing. It sounds like its off a tooth or 2.

Is that the original vacuum advance dizzy or did it originally have a vacuum retard dizzy?

Yes. You can position the dizzy body any way you need it. Just move the sparkplug wires around so that #1 wire is on the rotor at TDC, and keep all the other wires in firing order.

Is that the original vacuum advance dizzy or did it originally have a vacuum retard dizzy?
That vintage FJ40 had vacuum advance. Toyota used a copper tube with special fittings at the distributor and the carburetor. I've modified a few of those advancers by simply cutting the tubing off 10mm from the fitting and slipping a short section of brass tubing over the stub, securing it with Super Glue. That way you can run 3mm vacuum hose. That approach works well for installing the older distributors on newer F engines. It also helps with clearance issues.

In addition to the octane selector feature, the advance curve can be modified by shortening or lengthening the internal spring - undo the large outer threaded fitting and rotate the internal screw in or out.

I've also modified the breaker plate assembly by replacing the original parts with the same parts as used non-US extra small cap distributors (19100-61080). Toyota used those same parts on non-Land Cruiser US models like the Corolla and Corona. That modification will allow you to run the newer, easier-to-adjust points - the same points used on F and 2F distributors through 9/77.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom