Distributor Issues Non-USA FJ43 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bama4door

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Helping my dad work on his '78 FJ43 w/ 2f. He bought it locally in AL from a guy who is importing them from Columbia, so it has a lot of "features" that are not stock or hacked IMO.

We have been fighting carb (or so I thought) issues for a while. Got a new carb and it ran great for a day, then would run like crap. Hooked up a timing light and the BB would float back and forth across the timing mark. This made me believe the points were worn and needed to be replaced.

So, I ordered new spark plugs, wires, rotor, cap, condenser and points from CruiserCorps. Got all that installed and set the points gap to .018 and haven't been able to get the thing to even begin to fire. It would just turnover and never try to fire. I knew the issue had to be spark related (fuel filter has fuel in it and you can see gas in site window and watch gas squirt in carb when hitting accel pump).

Quick note, the wiring from the coil was setup like this....
-Negative wire is connected to condensor and points
+Positive wire looks to run to ignition (haven't touched this wire, just hooked back up to new coil)

Yesterday I tested the coil in it and it was bad, so I got a replacement 12v coil (w/o external resistor). *This 43 does not have an external resistor or ignitor on it.* Tried to fire it yesterday after replacing coil and it will try to start and run on choke for a few seconds, but it will not stay running. I've tried adjusting the distributor back and forth (I know the timing is off now with the new points installed), but it doesn't seem to help much.

This morning I took the stock 43 distributor out and I'm going to reset the engine to #1 TDC and start over. I could use any help or suggestions as this thing is literally fighting me around every corner. This 2f is bare bones and it seems so easy and like I'm missing something. There's only so many things that could be wrong (coil, points, etc).

PS - I've got a spare 60 distributor I can throw in it, but everything I've read online seems to say you need the factory 60 coil and ignitor, and you have to dent the side cover, so I'm not sure it's worth swapping right now. Since this is a non-usa 40 there are a lot of things missing that USA 60's have (resistor on coil, ignitor, wiring harnesses, etc).

Pics of said 43

4BE63741-A1DA-4F40-8E64-67B9E0E6731C.jpeg

88ACF643-C044-428E-BA5D-2B670E90E8DA.jpeg

Set the point gap at .014 and see what happens. You may have excessive runout from worn distributor bushings. Might be time to consider a Pertronix install.

Available from Marks Off Road, a MUD supporting vendor.

www.marksoffroad.net

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom