distributor gasket leak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

Well for the past few months I have noticed a very slight oil leak right where the dizzy seats in the block. I am almost 100% sure it is not a leaking side cover gasket.

Having never touched a dizzy before and reading all the siezed engine stories about not having it seated correctly makes me a little nervous about removing it for a new gasket. If there even is one? I have also heard of O-rings for some dizzys. Not sure what dist I have on my junk either.

Do I just pull it straight out, install new gasket, and put it straight back in? Anyone ever used RTV for this?

I know to check for oil pressure on first start up after R&R of the dizzy. I plan on marking the present position of it and seating it back to the same place.

Anything else I am missing? Long post about something that is probably super simple. Just don't want to F it up.

Jon

Stock Toyota distributors in the F/2F/3FE use an o-ring to seal the distributor body to the engine block.

No big deal to change out the o-ring; Removing and installing a distributor is not that big of a deal either. Read your FSM as it covers the procedure very well. Insert the distributor many times and learn the difference between it being seated in the oil pump and not, that way you do it correctly.

Good luck!

-Steve

It is worth specifically mentioning that if the distributor is not fully seated in the oil pump drive that you can ruin your engine within minutes of starting it, so be careful. Notice that the rotor will rotate as the distibutor is removed and reinserted, so make sure that your rotor is pointing in the proper direction when you start to reinsert it.

Thank you for the info gents, good stuff as usual. I will use my FSM for sure when I get to it. Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom