Distributor dimensions on 1F - need real time help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

zuluzeugma

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm having the South African guy in SC make me one of the H.E.I units and I know the dimension on the actual stem are slightly smaller on 72' and earlier. I need the actual dimensions on the part the sticks into the oil pump. IIRC, all the other dimensions are the same for ALL 1F's. He wants to make sure he gets in right the first time and I'm having it made tonight and drop shipped so I can have it by Friday for the weekend.

Thanks guys

Are you trying to use the OEM hold down clamp? If so, he will need to make a bushing so it will work and not slip. The HEI housing is quite a bit skinnier at the place where the hold down grips it. Not hard, but it takes a little futzing....

GL

ed

All 1/2/3F engines are dimensionally the same inside where the dissy is concerned.
The dissys look slightly different over the years due to changes in the dissy, but the hole in the block, cam gear, and oil pump tang are always the same.

I have a 73' dist that has a bigger stem and WILL NOT go into the oil pump on my 72' but goes in perfectly into the 73'... I'm confused...

Brian has the following dimensions on file.

diameter of metal shaft into oil pump - 0.460

diameter of distributor housing that fits into engine block - 1.060

distance of hold down to centre or gear - 2.235

distance tip of metal shaft to centre of gear - 2.500

Okay, just compared a 1967 dissy, 1964 oil pump , 1978 oil pump and 1982 dissy.
The early oil pump has a long bronze bushing in the top that is 12.5mm ID.

The 1978 oil pump has no bushing, and the iron body is 13mm ID.

Both dissy shafts are EXACTly 12.50mm diameter. They both go in the early oil pump, but in the case of the '82 dissy, not until a few little rust splotches were wire wheeled off it. It is an exact fit in the early pump bushing, so the oil pump drive end has to be 12.5mm or a touch smaller.

HTH.

Jim, I hate to be annoying and thanks for your help already. Take calipers and measure between the flat spots on the stem. Thats what I was thinking was thicker on the later ones

Okay, using the least crappy micrometer in the shop:
Shaft diameter: .490" or 12.45mm
Reduced tang diameter, only on the tang of later distributors: .480" or 12.2mm
Across the tang: varies randomly, .167-.171" or 4.24-4.34mm

I'm done now. You'll have to come here and measure anything else in the dissy bucket.:p

Jim,

You were correct as usual. As a side note, the H.E.I. units the guy on ebay is selling for $255 rock.

Can someone put a link to these $255 HEI distributors on ebay? Thanks.

Pat

Did you get it made? If not I could send my old 72 distributor to him to have if you wanna cover the few $ for shipping. I am about 3 hours away or else I would drop it off if need be

Yeah, I talked to him on the phone for a few minutes to discuss dimensions. As I learned, ALL F series dist. are the same. I could have sworn there was something different, but I must have drempt that. He sent me one and i received it two days later. It works awesome, and sure beat the $550 DUI wants...

A hijack - sorry zulu - but anyone else have experience with/opinions
on those distributors on Ebay for $255? I'm considering one for
my mostly stock 1972 40 with F engine...

-Phrog

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom