Distributor differences for 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a 2F out of an early 60 series from a fellow mudder. The distributor cap is cracked and it is much larger than the cap off of my stock 79 2F dizzy. I went to autozone to order one and they show to all be the same for each model. I tried to cross reference the Denso part number, 029120-220, and nothing came up on Google or the autozone website. Am I missing something? I'm almost done with the motor swap and little things are holding me up...I want to hear this thing run! :)

SOR has the caps IIRC. but yes they should be different. can't remember the exact year they changed.

distributors can be swapped from all years of 1f to 2f's. have a mid 60's 1f distributor in my 2f, waiting to put in my 85 2f distributor when i have time.

You can still get the Denso cap from any dealer, but curiously not the rotor. Napa has nice "made in Japan" rotors though. I just put an FJ60 distributor in my 40.

Also I'm sure you know that the distributor won't fit your 40 without using a pushrod gallery side cover from a 60 - it has a dish in it to accommodate the bigger distributor.

I beleive the 79 and 80 had the small cap version, 81+ had the big cap

You can still get the Denso cap from any dealer, but curiously not the rotor. Napa has nice "made in Japan" rotors though. I just put an FJ60 distributor in my 40.

Also I'm sure you know that the distributor won't fit your 40 without using a pushrod gallery side cover from a 60 - it has a dish in it to accommodate the bigger distributor.

i have an extra if you need it.

Thanks for the help guys...it turns out a cap from an 85 fits. Luckily the local autozone had one in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom