Distributor condenser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After installing a new cylinder head I’ve been trying to get the timing right and messing with the distributor a bit. In doing so this silver barrel piece broke off of the wire that attached it to the distributor. It’s on a Feb ‘77 FJ40 (Cali spec). Wondering if this is a condenser? Also is this even the original distributor? I’m attaching pics and didn’t have time to pull it out but can send pics of it pulled out when I get a chance.

479915CA-2CDA-4BE8-86DF-7C67D9D12C68.jpeg

C03FA73A-00F4-453F-A2C3-AED58296A79E.jpeg

21B9DFD9-8318-41D4-8121-8044B10E4C25.jpeg

2EE567C1-1973-413D-9FEC-00D1FBC9F7B2.jpeg

Yes, it is a condenser. Serves to help keep the points from arcing and wearing too soon.

So if it’s a condenser then I’m guessing the distributor is either off of an earlier model or non-USA? Anyone else with condensers on their dizzy around the ‘77 era? I know SOR sells condensers but they’re either for an earlier or non-USA 40.

That is a vacuum retard distributor, no later than 1974. There will be a metal tag riveted to the side of the bell with a number between 60062 and60066 depending on the original year. Regardless, it was a sub-optimal unit when it was new. After 50 years, it’s guaranteed to be subpar as well. Do yourself a big favor and buy a brand new vacuum advance dizzy. Don’t know the benefits? Read about it on my FAQ. Want to buy one from me? Give me a jingle.

That is a vacuum retard distributor, no later than 1974. There will be a metal tag riveted to the side of the bell with a number between 60062 and60066 depending on the original year. Regardless, it was a sub-optimal unit when it was new. After 50 years, it’s guaranteed to be subpar as well. Do yourself a big favor and buy a brand new vacuum advance dizzy. Don’t know the benefits? Read about it on my FAQ. Want to buy one from me? Give me a jingle.
Hey thanks for verifying. Gonna check out your FAQs and maybe give you a jingle.

Made in Germany. Original for a BMW maybe, not Toyota.

Bosch manufactured aftermarket parts for FJ40's (and maybe others).

The distributor is unmistakably a Toyota vacuum retard unit. Identical to the one I originally had on my truck.
So what did you replace your original dizzy with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom