Distributor clamp woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all you guys who have adjusted timing a bunch of times...what is the best way to access distributor clamp to loosen for adjustment? I have an 81 FJ40 that I recently checked the timing on for the first time in a loooong time. It has distributor without points so apparently timing doesn't need to be adjusted that often. It was at 15 degrees...so I thought I would retard down a bit IAW FSM. Well went to loosen clamp and couldn't figure out a way to get a wrench in there between oil cooler, oil filter, and other junk in that area. Not sure if it is my hands are too big or my brain is too small. Appreciate the help...thanks.

Of course...I'll post one ASAP. In the meantime here's one I found online that looks similar.
FJ dizzy.jpg

try a flex head 12mm ratcheting spanner for hard to reach bolts like that. saves hours of suffering. im pretty sure they will work for this application.
Screen Shot 2021-03-25 at 8.34.33 AM.png

I bought a metric box end distributor wrench with an offset, made in the US, from a place in Tacoma, Washington. Works great.

Thanks y'all...saw this bolt, but was looking for a clamp based on the stuff I had read. No wonder I couldn't find one. Anyway, doesn't look like a ton of adjustment though. BTW, any problem running 15 degrees advance if it doesn't "ping" on acceleration? Thanks again.

Sweet! That's the perfect tool.

I just used my 12mm stubby.

View attachment 2625754
I use that tool a lot - I do a lot of temporary distributor swaps when testing refurbished distributors or one-of-a-kind distributor modifications, like the FJ60 points distributor I developed recently.

Last edited:
Got one of those "fancy" distributor wrenches...so just loosen the one bolt and rotate dizzy clockwise to retard right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom