Dissent rear bumper lights issue (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have these notes from when I installed a trailer light breakout box on a 2009 LX570. Might be useful?
1669856030617.png

Not sure how Dissent wired theirs but this was how I did mine. Maybe this schematic will help? FWIW I built a5-pin harness "Y" adapter, so all my taps were to the Y which left the factory harness unmolested.

1669915344549.png

Calling all wiring geniuses...

Saga continues but no joy yet. All my wiring splices are good. Everything I tied into is between the AK3 connector (located divers side by the exhaust) and the MK2 at the trailer plug. I disconnected at AK3 and got no voltage there with lights on. So then I did:

1. I swapped relays and even applied 12v to the Tow Tail Relay to see is it works and its good.
2. With the Tow Tail relay removed, I jumpered the switched terminals which should send power to the Tow Tail lights but got nothing.
3. With engine running and lights on, relay removed, I measured zero volts to the switched slots in the relay socket. So, no power to the relay.
4. I also tried to measure the voltage on the trigger side and got nothing (which I suppose makes sense, since both sides are fed from the 30 A fuse).
5. I checked the 30 amp Tow Tail fuse and its fine.
6. I checked the 40 amp sub bat fuse and its fine though its not related to the Tow Tail lights.

1670111704435.png

I'm stumped. I do not understand how its even possible for the load side to have zero volts on terminal 5 if the 30 A fuse is good. If the 30A fuse wasn't getting power, there would be a lot of things not working unless it is a broken connection between the bus and the fuse. I don't even know how to check that as I don't know how to find the supply connection at the bus.

1670112347989.png

Everything else seems to work. The OEM tail lights on the truck all work. It is just the tow tail light circuit that is dead. I'm starting to think my Tow Tail lights haven't work since before the Dissent bumper install. I think the Roadvision lights worked as I'm pretty sure I would have check that but I can't say I recall that specifically.

Not sure what to do next other than try to find the next connection from the 30A fuse to the battery/bus and check the voltage there.

Edit: I just now checked for voltage with the 30A fuse pulled at read 13v on the hot side so the fuse socket is connected to the battery like it should be. I also got 13v on the relay trigger pin that connects to the fuse in the fuse box but I don't have any volts on either pin/slot in the relay socket. I'm thinking that must be the problem but no idea how that would get messed up. Don't know how to check that other than pulling the whole fuse box out. ugh.

Last edited:
Fix it. Root cause is that I'm stupid. 30A Towing fuse is not the same as the 30 A Tow Tail fuse. :doh: What's nuts is that since July I've had 3 failures in this one circuit. 1. Loose connector. 2. Broken splice connection 3. Missing (yes missing) Tow Tail fuse. I have no idea how the Tow Tail fuse went missing. I can only assume that my Dissent tail lights never worked. I had brake and blinkers just know tail lights. I only noticed the no tail lights when I hooked up a trailer at night in October. The first thing I did was check the fuses but I wasn't actually looking at the right fuse.

30A Towing fuse is not the same as the 30 A Tow Tail fuse.
Nice! Too bad no one thought to tell you to check that fuse… especially in the 3rd post 🥴😂

Nice! Too bad no one thought to tell you to check that fuse… especially in the 3rd post 🥴😂
yes but it wouldn't have mattered as I thought I was checking that fuse...

This thread saved me a bunch of time fixing my trailer running light issues thank you!

On top of the tow tail fuse being blown, I also managed to get a brand new lx570 specific hopkins adapter that had the batt+ and brake wires flipped, and non-functioning left hand turn.

This thread saved me a bunch of time fixing my trailer running light issues thank you!

On top of the tow tail fuse being blown, I also managed to get a brand new lx570 specific hopkins adapter that had the batt+ and brake wires flipped, and non-functioning left hand turn.
Could be wrong, but i think this has been gone over before. i believe the adapter is "designed" to connect back near the resonator on the USA driver's side, even though it can be clipped in at a block on the passenger side. But as you found, when clipped in on the passenger side, the wires do not match up.

Here's one post detailing this. That thread links to this one, it's probably more useful.

Hm, I guess that is on me, the abbreviated instructions and setup I would describe as misleading, however.

The upshot is my OEM toyota plug isn't actually faulty, the tail tow fuse was just in the process of blowing. I need to come up with some sort of adapter block to fill in the gap when its mounted outside on the dissent bumper, I don't like how much the wires need to bend to clear the crossmember when it is mounted inside.

This seemed to be the best thread to post this question...so here goes

I have built and tested my DIY pigtail wiring harness and everything works flawlessly. Thanks very much to @linuxgod for the schematic!

Butnow that it's time to actually install the lights I cannot figure out an intuitive way to mount them. Surely you guys aren't just wedging them in there. How do you secure them?

I have built and tested my DIY pigtail wiring harness and everything works flawlessly. Thanks very much to @linuxgod for the schematic!

Butnow that it's time to actually install the lights I cannot figure out an intuitive way to mount them. Surely you guys aren't just wedging them in there. How do you secure them?
My Dissent bumper had mounting brackets for the lights.

Did you order the light from Dissent when you ordered the bumper? My instructions say the blanks are replaced with the brackets if you order the combo lights.

Did you order the light from Dissent when you ordered the bumper? My instructions say the blanks are replaced with the brackets if you order the combo lights.
Thanks to both of you for replying. The lights were backordered when I ordered my bumper and I did not order them until they were available several months later so it sounds like I need to reach out to them for a bracket.

Here's what the brackets look like:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom