Dissent offroad modular aluminum roof rack. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone running this rack with a soft shell tent? So far, Ive only really seen it with hard shell popup/clamshell tents. Looking to switch from Frontrunner (so noisy it's annoying)..

I run a tepui autana on mine. Works great.

Any Aussies purchased one of these? Is there a local supplier or can they be shipped from the US?

Can I ask if anyone took the time to remove the clips that held on the factory moulding? Clean it all up and then mount the rack?

After my dealings with my factory rack I’m ready to clean it all up ONCE and get this rack as it uses all four factory mounting points! SOLID!

Also I can’t find details on how large the package is the rack ships in?
UPS or is this a freight thing?

Lastly how is the zinc hardware holding up for folks, I’m in the WNC mountains so rust isn’t a common thing but some oxidation seems normal depending on humidity and stuff.

Put my deposit down and can't wait to get mine! I expect to have it before Thanksgiving to mount my roof top tent on it. I got the RTT load bars, light bar cut out, and SS hardware.

Anyone running this rack with a soft shell tent? So far, Ive only really seen it with hard shell popup/clamshell tents. Looking to switch from Frontrunner (so noisy it's annoying)..
Here's mine with a Tepui Autana 3

I'm currently sifting through the heaps of roof racks out there, this thread has me leaning hard towards Dissent. I really don't want to sacrifice the view out of my sunroof though. Is it possible to remove the front cross bar without sacrificing structural integrity? Or has another solution been made?

I'm currently sifting through the heaps of roof racks out there, this thread has me leaning hard towards Dissent. I really don't want to sacrifice the view out of my sunroof though. Is it possible to remove the front cross bar without sacrificing structural integrity? Or has another solution been made?
Without taking a look at my rack confirm… I’m 99% sure that specific crossbar is required as that crossbar is one that ties into one set of the feet that bolt the rack to the roof.

Reactions: GTV
Maybe I'm the minority but a functioning sunroof is one where the view isn't obstructed. Otherwise, what's the point? Would one of y'all Dissent rack owners be willing to post a picture of what it looks like with the sunroof open?

Edit:
Never mind, this post clears it up.
Still on the hunt for a rack that doesn't sacrifice the sunroof...

Last edited:
Maybe I'm the minority but a functioning sunroof is one where the view isn't obstructed. Otherwise, what's the point? Would one of y'all Dissent rack owners be willing to post a picture of what it looks like with the sunroof open?

Edit:
Never mind, this post clears it up.
Still on the hunt for a rack that doesn't sacrifice the sunroof...
Don't forget Gamiviti racks.

I am looking at them again... holy crap are they heavy.
Probably around 60lbs if you
I am looking at them again... holy crap are they heavy.
They are custom, the more you add to them the heavier they get. You can contact @nakman

I think the basic flat rack is probably the same weight as this Dissent. I think the higher models without a grid get to about 60lbs.

Still looks good! Wish there was a way to incorporate extruded aluminum cross bars in the design.

F7064900-8707-43D2-9D2F-20A491FD4933.jpeg

@Greenbean I use a pry bar and plastic scrapper tool after soaking the gaskets and retainer clips covers in goo gone. Interestingly underneath the
retainer clips it was bare metal. No rust but I sprayed these areas with white rustoelum and waxed the roof. The mounting bolts and gaskets were in excellent condition no rust or leaks present.

My rack was shipped fedex ground. It isn’t in a pallet but in cardboard box with a ton of bubble wrap inside: I checked my packing slip and it was 65 lbs at 13x13x60". This included the roof top tent mounts. I ordered 2 sets of high awning mounts one for my kayaks and another for my camp shower.

I did my install over the Labor Day weekend. The pdf on Dissent’s website was very thorough. I did use a ratcheting strap when doing the final alignment. So to the prior poster that suggested that, I owe you a beer!

Sad Factory Rack, I have progressively been loosing the plastic moldings that cover the rack feet on both sides. It was super brittle on the remaining covers I did have on the PS.
49FCC04B-FB1C-475A-B556-D8548B2C6860.jpeg

Cross bars fitted.
9EDE2157-4415-454A-B00D-BA3B93024764.jpeg

All done. I just need to get check the torque this next weekend. I didn’t notice any more or less noise vs. the factory rack.
5DA88B8D-634F-48FE-AE8E-475EF4011718.jpeg

I am super happy with the rack! It took me maybe 5 hrs over 2 days including the removal of the factory rack.

It is very sturdy and I can’t wait to get my hard shell clamshell roof top tent.

Last edited:
Has anyone mounted a ski rack to the Dissent roof rack? Any issues before we go buy one?

Just got my Antidote Outdoors Aluminum clam shell roof top tent mounted on my rack. Very happy with my Dissent Rack @benc
C84173FA-EFBA-41D2-828B-D2B4EB4E3491.jpeg

@Greenbean no, they are cheap ones off Amazon. I had my oem fogs start to fog up and suck in water during hurricane season in the Carolinas maybe 6 years ago. I replaced with generic ones that did the same thing. Then went with these LED amber ones and no issues since.

I used Rusteoleum Black Hammered finish for the trim and have beenreally happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom