Dissent offroad aluminum and steel skid plates. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A friend of mine owns a 4x4 shop here in Denver and I had him install my Dissent aluminum skids. They work on thousands of offroad vehicles each year and this is Colorado, so everyone has a roof top tent and skid plates.

He had never heard of or seen Ben's skids or work before. When I picked my truck up, he said "These are the best designed and nicest skid plates we've ever installed." This isn't a fly-by-night shop. They host many large offroad events and work on or build a ton of Jeeps, Toyotas and Land Rovers.

Sorry I have to dig this thread out. Stupid question here: what are the slots on the skid plate for? Especially the front skid plate. Are there any chances that mud could build up? Thank you for your response.

@benc I'm not sure if you're still monitoring this tread but I'd like to know if you have skids on hand and what's the going rate now for them (steel and aluminum).
I checked the website but there are no skids listed there.
Let me know please, thanks
Paulo

@benc I'm not sure if you're still monitoring this tread but I'd like to know if you have skids on hand and what's the going rate now for them (steel and aluminum).
I checked the website but there are no skids listed there.
Let me know please, thanks
Paulo
I actually emailed him a week ago or so. He has none on hand 12-14wk lead time aluminum at 1250. Call him and he'll answer.

Does anyone know the exact specs for the Hex head bolts? Stripped a couple while doing some maintenance and gonna order a big bag of them for the future.

Does anyone know the exact specs for the Hex head bolts? Stripped a couple while doing some maintenance and gonna order a big bag of them for the future.

Depends on which ones your talking about. Post a pic. The four on the back skid are 5/16“ the rest should be M8-1.25. I would know I’ve had to replace some doing some self maintenance. I went and did the same thing and bought a box from amazon.

3DD4D81D-E5BE-4D41-AF05-AB475978CB2B.jpeg

Specifically this guy

Do you know the part number on McMaster? What length did you buy on Amazon?

I actually bought an assortment from amazon. From M8 to M12 with various lengths.

I don’t know what the part number is for McMaster.

I actually bought an assortment from amazon. From M8 to M12 with various lengths.

I don’t know what the part number is for McMaster.

Thanks just bought a few from McMaster-Carr. I'm surprised the bolts rounded out so quickly without being damaged, but what can you do.. :meh: Hopefully these hold up, otherwise I might switch to hex bolts.

How did you guys end up removing the stripped ones? I had to bring it to a shop- looks like they used a torx head.

63557D13-B885-4F11-83F4-8C393E1712EF.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks just bought a few from Amazon. I'm surprised the bolts rounded out so quickly without being damaged, but what can you do.. :meh: Hopefully these hold up, otherwise I might switch to hex bolts.

How did you guys end up removing the stripped ones? I had to bring it to a shop- looks like they used a torx head.

View attachment 2381139

Pick up a set of these Wera hex keys and you won't strip them out again. They have some fancy patented design that will allow to you to torque down on the bolt a lot more. Just make sure that it has the size that you need because there are some skips.
Amazon product ASIN B009ODV0OE

Pick up a set of these Wera hex keys and you won't strip them out again. They have some fancy patented design that will allow to you to torque down on the bolt a lot more. Just make sure that it has the size that you need because there are some skips.
Amazon product ASIN B009ODV0OE

AWESOME - thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom