Dissappearing oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm running a carborated Chevy 350 in the 60. I ran it about 500 mile and it ate 2 quarts of oil :eek:. There's a little white smoke at start up... but not this much. The front main the rear main and the oil pan gasket are weeping a little... but there's no oil dripping at any time. The truck doesn't leave an oil spot. However there is oil seeming to come from the valve covers and the filler cap.... like the oil pressure is high. Could this be a clogged passage keeping the oil up top and eventually leaking out? The motor runs really solid and I don't feel like it's burning it up. Any guesses?

Chris

Is it blowing out a pin hole some where? I had an oil cooler lline on a 35o powered 40 do that. the spray went right down and out the fender near the heeder with out much of a trace.

My 2f was doing about the same. Didn't think it possible to loose that much, but replaced my oilpan gasket and problem fixed. It must have really been pumping out while I was going down the hwy.

baloo, definatley not... they're dry dust all over the engine compartment... if oil were coming out I'd see it. And I'm not running an oil cooler line (Is that a problem?).

Awsome... I'll change the oilpan gasket this weekend and see if that helps.

Any thoughts on the oil coming from the top of the engine?

Thanks
Chris

Sounds like rings. Rings going south will cause "blow-by" and result in high crankcase PSI that could explain your oil at the filler. Have a friend drive the truck and follow it. See if any blue smoke comes out when he/she gets on it (street troubleshooting). Any amount of blue smoke is bad. Or, run a compression test (classroom troubleshooting).

CWO, I was (I guess still am) afraid of that. Anything I can do to deal with that other than a rebuild?

And is there something I can do to clean up the oil passages while I have the oil pan out?

Chris

Or you could do a proper leakdown to tell if your rings and/or valves are bad. You didn't say if you are running a catalytic converter. If so, with bad rings & a still-good cat, you can burn oil & never see it out the tailpipe.

Really? I'm running cats no mufflers on a dual 2 1/2" exhaust.

I'm gonna to the oil pan gasket this morning then see what that does...

Chris

Yup -
My '85 22R-powered pickup "lost" oil but didn't leak it. Asked a mechanic buddy who told me about the cat "doing its job". Sho' nuff! Had to replace the cat because it got clogged from the oil.

I skipped the oil pan gasket saturday cause it looked ok and assumed that the problem was blow-by. No sooner did I finish assuming then the gasket let go.... oil everywhere. Now I gotta scramble to get this done before Uwharrie this weekend...

Chris

Replaced the oil pan gasket and cleaned the screen while I was in there... super eay job. Did it in just under 2 hrs total. Fixed my high oil pressure problem... I'm stoked. This is my first repair that went as planned and fixed the problem!

Thanks for the help
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom