Dispersed Camping in Lincoln/Gila NF (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey HDCruisers,

I'm looking at running over to NM from OK from 9/5-9/11 and I'm wondering about dispersed camping access in the Lincoln and Gila National Forests. I recently went through Colorado and it was my first real experience with the influx of people trying to find COVID friendly activities - camping in established campsites as well as dispersed camping spots were hard to come by. I'm not here to strip mine for hidden gems and local spots, but my sister and father-in-law are both interested in joining us and I'm starting to get worried that we might not be able to find somewhere to lay our heads. If any of you could point me towards more specific areas to look for dispersed camping both in the Lincoln NF (around Cloudcroft), and the Gila NF (anywhere, but looking mainly in the southern portions), I would greatly appreciate it.

-Z

Look at the New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route. Pick it up in the Lincoln, take it to the Gila. Plenty of dispersed camping along the way.

Fortunately, for us and don’t tell anybody… we have 4 million less people looking for camping spots.

Fortunately, for us and don’t tell anybody… we have 4 million less people looking for camping spots.
Yea, that was kind of the whole thought process behind this trip but then I got out to CO and got a little nervous seeing the crowds. Looking forward to taking in all that S and SW NM has to offer in a few weeks! Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Chile - don't forget to consume vast amount of red and green chile. Chile, not chilli ;)

Enjoy your visit to NM.

If you visit each National Forest website, you can view (and download) the Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) which is void of a great deal of valuable information, but it does show dispersed camping corridors along open roads (if being legal is a big concern).

Also check out sites like freecampsites.net.

Have fun!

If you visit each National Forest website, you can view (and download) the Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) which is void of a great deal of valuable information, but it does show dispersed camping corridors along open roads (if being legal is a big concern).

I highly recommend the National Forest app. Make sure you offline download the maps for each district before you leave.

I highly recommend the National Forest app. Make sure you offline download the maps for each district before you leave.
Wow, even the National Forest has an app now? We are truly living in the future...

I looked into it a little bit for the Gila and Lincoln National forests and it didn't seem to have a ton of functionality. Either way, I have a map for the Gila and I'll print MVUMs for both so I should be good. And the app is free so if it does anything at all it will be worth the money spent on it. Thanks for the rec!

Wow, even the National Forest has an app now? We are truly living in the future...

I looked into it a little bit for the Gila and Lincoln National forests and it didn't seem to have a ton of functionality. Either way, I have a map for the Gila and I'll print MVUMs for both so I should be good. And the app is free so if it does anything at all it will be worth the money spent on it. Thanks for the rec!
Depends on what you consider functional. It has all the roads you need to find backcountry camping sights. It also has most of the FS campgrounds. Not sure what else you expected.

Depends on what you consider functional. It has all the roads you need to find backcountry camping sights. It also has most of the FS campgrounds. Not sure what else you expected.
Maybe I'm not using correctly, but I'm looking at it right now at it's basically just a middleman between me and Google maps. I don't consider that very functional as I could just use Google maps to find 99% of the same information that it's providing me other than a handful of tags where the ranger stations are. And Google maps uses my whole screen versus the tiny integrated map on the National Forest app that uses 1/3rd of my screen and is much harder to navigate. I appreciate the recommendation, but for my purposes I'm not seeing any value added.

It doesn't use Google Maps. It's stand alone. Google Maps doesn't work without a connection. The FS app does.

It doesn't use Google Maps. It's stand alone. Google Maps doesn't work without a connection. The FS app does.
Then what the hell app am I using because it absolutely uses Google maps?

21E76F2B-0F00-41D7-ABA5-545586DED8C6.png

Also, Google maps does work without service you just need to download the data first - same as the National Forest app.

Don't know what that is.

Screenshot_20210814-124831.jpg

Don't know what that is.
Well, that's weird. That's the only app that I can find that appears to be associated with the NF. It's called "National Forest Explorer". Looks like you're on Android though. That could be my issue.

fsvisitor map.jpg

Just a mind clarification, Gmap will work offline if you download your area prior to leaving connection. I believe the same thing goes for the Nat'l forest map app, download your area before leaving connection but correct me if I'm mistaken.

Back to your regularly scheduled program!

Thanks, @pappy. That looks far more functional than whatever that other app was (which again, it was free so whatever, but it was not worth downloading, IMO).

Just a [mild] clarification, Gmap will work offline if you download your area prior to leaving connection. I believe the same thing goes for the Nat'l forest map app, download your area before leaving connection but correct me if I'm mistaken.

This is correct and worth mentioning again for anyone that finds this thread and did not know Google maps had this function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom