Disk Brake conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone done a Disk brake conversion on their 70 series. I have a 95' model 73 with front disk and rear drum. I also have a camper. My LC lacks stopping power.

Adding rear discs will not increase stopping power. IMO first step, fix any problems you have (rear LSPV particularly) and add a 80 series booster then go from there. For me adjusting the LSPV, 80 series booster made a huge difference, even with rear drums.

Don't have enough experience with 70 series rear brakes but did some hilux rear disk modifications and watched some testing of others, up close.
Most rear drums have very good braking performance with mostly good hot braking performance.
I would say the most important benefits of going to disk brakes may be: unsprung weight (not all of them), water and mud dissipation, heat evacuation and ease of maintenance.
Mostly, parking brake performance will suffer, as no modern disk brake park setup would compare to the much greater effective radius of the drum based park brake setups, and for certain brake systems (like modern gen 7 and gen 8 hilux) main braking performance may even reduce, mainly due to the fact that rear brake fluid pressure might not be adjustable and may be controlled by a mechanical reducer/limiter or by ecm.
Thus, interfering with your ability to harness the full braking force potential from your new disk setup.

I have witnessed many attempts which ended up with very poor performance, some even reduced, compared to oem.
So, if you are not severely bothered by the slight added maintenance effort and not suffering from severe overheating of the rear brakes, I would suggest stay OEM and tune the system correctly like @Hulsty suggested.
Good luck
Edited: forgot to mention that all applications for the modified hilux were 3500 to 4300 kg gvwr.
Just for reference, so not exactly same application but verified info.
Good luck

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom