Disk Brake Conv and High Steer (4x4 Labs) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

standard x-over would be fine, but the behind the axle tierod is way cooler;) the heims are illeagal because they are not DOT, but the heims poliece wont pull you over i promis:rolleyes: . and they are plenty safe/strong if you buy quality ones.

My old tie rod was bent, and it has been sleeved and bent again. I figured I would see if this would help get it out of the way. It is a little to late to return everything any how. And I would rather try to get it to work right. Thank you for the note about DOT...some things I will let slide on the DOT...but its good to know nonetheless.

Matthew

Well I talked to Luke this morning and they are the wrong arms. They were very helpful and I am really impressed with their customer service. They are sending the new arms out today and I will let you know how it goes with a post and pics. Thanks again for all the help with everything.

Matthew

Good to here that, I was looking forward to some good teq to help you out but my chance will come:beer:

Yeah, they were. I guess there was a mix up on what I was running, but he is switching them out no problem.

Matthew

ArmyFJ,

I have an 82FJ40 w/ a sping under - 4" Skyjacker lift including a 2.5" steering correction kit and recently installed Luke's steering setup. I am also concerned about the lack of clearance. After seeing the attached pics, Luke thinks it will be fine. I plan on installing 2.5" bump stops and will cycle the suspension soon to see what happens. Here's a few pics of my setup.

Let us know how you make out.

Randy

"The high steer is really nice too but I am really close to the frame on the back. Luke at 4x4 labs said it would be close but I didn't think it was going to be this close. Anyone out there with a 4 inch lift have close clearance issues? there is about an inch between the frame and the tie rod."
4x4labs1.jpg
4x4labs2.jpg
4x4labs3.jpg

82cruzer looks like you got high offset arms. call luke and send some photos, double check, trust me he will get you on track. looks like under flex and turning its gonna hit, but if luke thinks its ok maybe it is.

luke can bend these arms to any application you need, i just got my six stud arms and will be putting it together this weekend, you think yours are beefy, holy smokes these are amazingly huge.

82cruiser,
Did you do a spring flip, looks like your pin is more toward the front. I still have mine towards the rear, but am thinking of flipping it. It looks like it will lend about 1/2 to 1 inch more clearance for the tie rod. The drag link will be closer but not by the same factor because the frame doesn't curve in as much at that point.

You do have the right arms from what I can tell. When I talked to Luke he mentioned that the tie rod ends should go in from the top on SOA, and from the bottom on SUA, just helps with the clearance of the third member.

Matthew

Cam - I sent Luke a message so we'll see what he thinks shortly. Post pics of you 6-stud beasties.

ArmyFJ - Yes, the springs were flipped which is required for the steering correction kit and does gain a little more room.

So do you mean 2.5 deg? or 2.5"? You just use shims right?

Matthew

2.5 inches: The steering correction kit/perches provide 2.5" of lift and the springs provide another 1.5" for a total of 4" in the front, which matches the rear lift of 4".

Shims were not necessary due to the fact that when you flip the springs the angle of the diff is correct. The correction kit came from BTB (see pic) and the springs are Skyjacker.

Randy

I see. I thought you didn't have a shackle reversal. I don't have one and I am pretty sure I will need to use shims when I flip the spring pack.

Those arms are big. But I am not jealous. Its all about if you know how to work 'em.

Matthew

2.5 inches: The steering correction kit/perches provide 2.5" of lift and the springs provide another 1.5" for a total of 4" in the front, which matches the rear lift of 4".

Shims were not necessary due to the fact that when you flip the springs the angle of the diff is correct. The correction kit came from BTB (see pic) and the springs are Skyjacker.

Randy

Does that wheel really help? I've bent the hell out of mine(shackle revers) and am looking for something to help eliminate that problem.

The wheel works very well. They make first contact with any rocks in front of the perches and enable you to roll up onto and over the top of them. As you roll over the top of rocks, they come into contact with the underside of the perches and springs and slide over them until the tires make contact. They also help when coming down a steep incline or ledge when the perches would usually be driven into the ground/rocks/logs etc.

I used to bash the perches up all the time and now it's not an issue.

Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom