Discrepancy between reality and OBDII TPS readings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I just noticed on my Torque Pro App that there is a bit of a discrepancy between reality and the OBDII reading on my throttle position. For a note, the readings are the same with engine off and on (ignition on). Basically the lowest that the OBDII reading will read for throttle position is 11% (foot off the gas) and 77% (foot to the floor). The engine runs fine and performs predictably and as far as I know is not out of tune. Does my TPS need to be adjusted or is there something just off in the OBDII readings. If the OBDII readings are off, does that not affect performance?

The real reason that I ask is that the obvious answer is to check the resistance on my TPS but I hate doing that and I seem to screw it up whenever I start messing with it. I changed the TPS on my 3VZE V6 a little bit ago and even though I thought I had it dialed in just right it sucked until I just started to adjust it by feel and messed with it until it ran right. Thanks.

You might start with making sure your accelerator cable is adjusted correctly at the TB, including a fully open butterfly at full throttle.

You might start with making sure your accelerator cable is adjusted correctly at the TB, including a fully open butterfly at full throttle.

Done. I disconnected the throttle and cruise cable and verified that the values presented are those at the mechanical limits of the little cam thing that they connect to. TB butterfly is fully open at throttle.

Done. I disconnected the throttle and cruise cable and verified that the values presented are those at the mechanical limits of the little cam thing that they connect to. TB butterfly is fully open at throttle.

Cool. Good to know.

... Basically the lowest that the OBDII reading will read for throttle position is 11% (foot off the gas) and 77% (foot to the floor). ...

Mine reads the same numbers, Ultra-Gauge.

Mine reads 10-75 via Scanguage. The OBD-II system reads the TPS value as a percentage of voltage between 0-5V. Even if it doesn't read 0-100%, it can still be functioning properly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom