1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discovery back, safe and sound.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by 98LXand99LC, Aug 9, 2005.

1. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

I was a little bummed they had to land at Edwards. It's always a rush hearing the sonic booms when they come back to the Cape.

I watched it Live this morning with my 2YO son. It was awesome to hear the first words from Eileen Collins after re-entry.

2. Lockd97

Lockd97

The buzz around White Sands was pretty high since this was the best chance of landing here in years (even though it would be like pulling teeth for NASA to land here again). I could see the lights from the highway while going to work at 0400.
    :beer:

3. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

I used to work for a company that built missile targets for PATRIOT and THAAD. We used old minuteman and pershing motors mated in two stages to drive a ballistic target. Anyway we used to test at WSMR. Funny thing out there, there's apparently some endangered goats that we had to make sure we missed.

4. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

lol i just realised... discovery, the space shuttle with so many problems... is named after a landrover

HAHAHAHAHAHA good to see their home safe... there was an ozzy on board :D

5. Lockd97

Lockd97

Sounds like the HERA and STORM targets. A few trips to Ft Wingate in your past? The goats you are refering to are the Oryx or maybe the Ibex. I've never seen an Ibex out here but the Oryx are a dime a dozen. They are thriving here.

6. mot

mot

I watched it with my 4 and 7 year-old boys, except it was a little after 9:00pm here. ;)

Really glad that they made it back safely.

Mot

7. stayalert

stayalert SILVER Star

That thing will never rust.

8. swank60

swank60

Glad they are back safe.

When the Columbia exploded, it shook my whole house. We thought someone had sped off the road and hit the porch or something. Hours later we'd found out what it was...weird.

9. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

Yup, HERA targets. I haven't been to Ft. Wingate, I'm in the Simulation and Training business now. My work travel takes me mostly to DC and sometimes Huntsville and Dayton.

10. Lockd97

Lockd97

Ft. Wingate (south of Gallup) is where they have been doing the last launchings
    over to the Range. How does FL treat ya? I was over at Ft. Walden Beach doing
    some work in March.

11. PabloCruise

PabloCruise SILVER Star

Ugh.

I could not imagine.

I was ill when that happened - just plain ill.

12. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

It's hot as biotch now, but most of the year we have great weather (sans hurricanes). I've never been to Ft. Walton Beach, but it's supposed to be nice.

13. Shahram

Shahram I ain't got herpes no more.

I went to bed last night thinking of disasters and preparedness...dreaming of stealing gasoline from my neighbors with my .30-.30, Road Warrior style...just before 5:00AM, totally comatose, this occurred:

[KA-BOOOOOOOOOOM!!!]
    Wife: Honey!
    Me: Ungggggbllgrrrgl....
    Wife: Honey! Get up!
    Me: What the...what?
    [House rumbling, dog snarling like Ol' Yeller at sliding glass door]
    Wife: We're having an earthquake. Or there was some kind of bomb. It was huge.
    Me: I'm up.

On with the clothes, on with the shoes, grab the dog's leash, emergency duffles, Earthquake/End Times kit is outside, realize there are no alcohol or cigarettes, grab bottle of Tullamore Dew and pack of Shermans in case I get bored with nuclear holocaust and/or The Big One, tell 7 mos. pregnant wife to get vitamins and more clothes, start thinking of possible escape plans, feel really good about owning Cruiser, debating taking shotgun or pistol, go to turn on the TV to hear either bad or really f***ing bad news, and it's

LIVE FROM EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE.....WHAT A GREAT DAY TO BE AN AMERICAN.....

What the?....Whatever....I'm going back to bed, I gotta go to work in a couple hours. Dog's like "See ya on the flipside, sucker, I'm gonna sleep 'til noon."

14. 98LXand99LC

98LXand99LC

It was probably more like a BOOM BOOM. And it shakes the whole house!

15. Jman

Jman

First time I heard a sonic boom was when I went out shark fishing. Over 50 miles from shore, nothing in sight, already pretty amped up because the chum slick was already laid down and we had just set the hooks when . . . BOOM BOOM.

"Holyfuckingmotherofchristwhatthehellwasthat?!!!!!!!!" :eek:

"Oh, that's probably the Concorde." :D Or a military jet. :D

Heard it a few more times that day. :rolleyes: Made me jump higher than the sharks.

16. abclin

abclin

Yeh they come in directly over my area, it was a BOOM BOOM taught that somebody was breaking in through the sliding glass door, nobody else in the house herd it !

17. TX_TLC

TX_TLC

Same thing here...I was walking out through our backyard taking the trash out and saw this flash..then a second in the sky...then about 10 seconds later I heard the sound and it shook our house. It took me a while to figure out what happened. I was really confused.