Disconnecting ABS? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of swapping in Non-Toyota axles under my 97 FZJ80 and one of my concerns is the stock ABS system. Can this system be disconnected or disabled without interfering with other computer systems? I'd also prefer not to have and ABS light on either. Just unplug and go? New Non-ABS master cylinder? The vehicle will not be a daily driver but needs to be safe on the road.

Pull the fuse in the engine bay fuse block? Not sure if this would interfere with any other systems or not. Just a thought.

No ABS here either...pull the fuse and the light in the dash = no worries.

Just a word of caution on this. Your insurance carrier is undoubtedly under the impression that your vehicle has ABS, and this is reflected in your rates. If you are involved in a motor vehicle accident and the other vehicle's insurance company discovers that you actively deactivated your ABS you could end up in a world of hurt. I am not an insurance expert by any means but have been involved in vehicle litigation from the mfr side and this is a material deterioration in your vehicle's braking capability that may let your insurance company assess you a generous helping of the damages and ask for money back on the rate discount you were getting. It may also let the other driver's insurance company or lawyer sue you on the basis that you negligently disabled a feature on your vehicle that resulted in harm to their client.

So, consider how this will look in the real world where accidents occur through no fault of your own, but that may change your life dramatically. I don't know the motive for doing these mods, but at the least take your fuse out and overload it so it blows, then put it back in. And no, DougM did not type this - I'm his buddy and just happened to see this post. He would never suggest intentionally blowing a fuse.

"I guess my light burnt out...I dunno" ;)

Thanks DougM's 'buddy'....

"I guess that fuse maybe fell out or something...it's really rickety in there...."

Volvo Portals will be swapped in....

The 80's axles, 97 with about 10,000 mile on Reider Racing 4.88's and a rear locker (Aussie) will be sold when they are eventually removed.

Wish you would have posted this a week ago--I just sent Dan $280 for a new ABS wiring harnes.... Doug's friends idea of a blown fuse sounds swell.

Whups, just reread and realized you're doing an axle swap. I, uh, my friend, was under the impression you were just disconnecting the ABS on an otherwise stock rig.

Beautiful job, TiredIron - just beautiful. I've always liked the Volvos and one day would like to have one to play with. Make mine a radio truck, which I'll install pullman folding bunks in and make an efficient little 'go anywhere' offroad RV.

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom