Disconnected Heater Hoses? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, I just bought a 1995 FZJ80 with 93,000 miles. Although a couple of the hoses have been changed recently, nearly everything else is old and needs changing.

I noticed that there is a hose disconnected on the firewall (left in pic) and what I assume was the other connection a bit farther to the driver's side near all of the other heater hoses.

Could this be the rear heater hook up?

I can't find any parts diagrams to show the rear heater hoses in general. I was actually looking for some part numbers to replace whatever hoses go the rear heater core itself.

Thanks

Bill

IMG_8286.jpg

IMG_8269.jpg

Hello everyone, I just bought a 1995 FZJ80 with 93,000 miles. Although a couple of the hoses have been changed recently, nearly everything else is old and needs changing.

I noticed that there is a hose disconnected on the firewall (left in pic) and what I assume was the other connection a bit farther to the driver's side near all of the other heater hoses.

Could this be the rear heater hook up?

I can't find any parts diagrams to show the rear heater hoses in general. I was actually looking for some part numbers to replace whatever hoses go the rear heater core itself.

Thanks

Bill

View attachment 2743381

View attachment 2743383
The previous owner bypassed it so there is no hose there. I just capped mine cuz I didnt like seeing an opening.

Cool, well, I guess I could see if I can flush it clean enough to not push rust into the rest of my system. Although not sure on the odds it will even work if it's been sitting for years with stagnant coolant in there.

Clean things up and capping it may be the answer for now with more pressing things to do.

Thanks guys

Cool, well, I guess I could see if I can flush it clean enough to not push rust into the rest of my system. Although not sure on the odds it will even work if it's been sitting for years with stagnant coolant in there.

Clean things up and capping it may be the answer for now with more pressing things to do.

Thanks guys
A lot of people just bypass it. My engine is currently out so Im going to remove those unused hard lines.

A lot of people just bypass it. My engine is currently out so Im going to remove those unused hard lines.

Not sure what it weighs but I would be more inclined to get rid of the dead weight if I had another reason to remove that seat one day. I can't say that I really need extra heat. If it was rear AC, would be a different story.

Not sure what it weights but I would be more inclined to get rid of the dead weight if I had another reason to remove that seat one day. I can't say that I really need extra heat. If it was rear AC, would be a different story.
Yeah, your in Florida. I think your good on heat.

This might help:

Just fwiw, heat from my dash in cold temps is far less than the amount of heat I get from the passenger seat heater unit. It's much faster at producing heat as well.
Recommend keeping the rear heat if it works by replacing the hoses, over relying soley on heat from your dash core (even if it works now) if you wheel in the winter.

Just bought a 97 and noticed my hard lines going to the rear core are about 1 step above powdered metal. Where can I order these, and how hard are they to replace.

20211207_150840.jpg

20211207_150844.jpg

20211207_144653.jpg

Just bought a 97 and noticed my hard lines going to the rear core are about 1 step above powdered metal. Where can I order these, and how hard are they to replace.

View attachment 2858706

View attachment 2858707

View attachment 2858708
In that state, cut them out and replace with Gates heater hose all the way back to the rear heater. To remove and replace hard lines you would likely have to pull engine. I had the head off and still had to cut them out in pieces.

In that state, cut them out and replace with Gates heater hose all the way back to the rear heater. To remove and replace hard lines you would likely have to pull engine. I had the head off and still had to cut them out in pieces.
That doesn't sound like fun. So would it be smarter to just delete the rear heater and bypass them?

That doesn't sound like fun. So would it be smarter to just delete the rear heater and bypass them?
I think it's really a question of whether you think you can protect those hoses when routing them from rubs/abrasion. The last thing you want is your rear heater springing a leak and causing a larger problem with the cooling system for the engine.

I opted to keep my bypass in place because the rest of the system had so much corrosion. My expectation was the rear heater was likely even more corroded without fresh coolant for an unknown period of time. If you run a garden hose through the rear heater only, it would be telling to see if the water ever runs clear or if there's always a rust tint.

I can't speak to whether the rear heater is actually needed. I think someone in this thread said it was necessary in colder climates.

That's what I did. I have no regrets. Bought the bypass hose from Wit's End and deleted everything. Plugged the floor hole.

That's what I did. I have no regrets. Bought the bypass hose from Wit's End and deleted everything. Plugged the floor hole.
Found their website. Can't seem to find the bypass kit though. I think I'm going to go ahead and bypass it for now. I may reconnect it when I take the body off the frame to clean the chassis up

Last edited:
You can also get it here.

@LandCruiserPhil
Looks like that kit is out of stock too. Geez, maybe I'm in the wrong business. Looks like I can get the single connection hose from the valve to the firewall though. Thanks for sending this!

Looks like that kit is out of stock too. Geez, maybe I'm in the wrong business. Looks like I can get the single connection hose from the valve to the firewall though. Thanks for sending this!
I got the OEM hose from Amayama last month. Took about 11 days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom