disconectin the vacum advance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok i posted several question a couple weeks ago about my cruiser boggin out when you hit the gas.......i figured it was the car, but the carb is still good, the guy i took it too discineccted the vacum advance now the problem is gone...........whats up with this?????? could i actually have ditributor problem???

67 fj40

Umm, let me think... 40 year old points distributor in an unmaintained, muddy Cruiser.... :confused:

No, could not be distributor problems. ;p

In addition to the possibility (likelihood?) that the dissy is a gunked-up, worn out mess, there is a possibility the vac was hooked up wrong and timing was off. The two often go together.

hmmmmmmm so what exactly are you sayin here, whats a dizzy, im very new to cruiser so be nice please......the cap and points look brand new.........

Its a nickname for the distributor

he's sayin there is a combo of messed-up-edness, very common on older cruisers like 40s...

the timing is likely out of whack, the carb probably needs adjusting or a rebuild, and the dizzy could have a number of things wrong with it, from vacuum issues to the points being set wrong...

don't worry though, this happens to everybody at some stage in their cruiser lives...usually very early on, ha ha

jim c. is a carb and distributor master...so listen to him more than me, ha ha

malphrus

I'd be interested in knowing which and what brand distributor you have on your truck. There are vacuum advance, vacuum retard types, and some brands are prone to killer failure. Let us know the brand and whether the vacuum diaphragm points to the front or back of the truck.

hey dave the distributor is stock i think the cap may be newer, the diaphram points to the front of the engine...........hope this helps.........it runs good now with it disconeccted

leave it unhooked, plug the vaccum hose, and cap off the port on the dist. and run it..

Good luck!

-Steve

Steve, are you sure? :confused:

In my world, if an F distributor has the canister pointing towards the front, it is a vac advance distributor. :doh:

The symptom would point to a vac advance distributor that was hooked to manifold vacuum, so all the timing would go away when the throttle was opened (Bad Thing(tm)). :eek:

FJ40Jim said:
Dave, what is killer failure? Is that when the distributor stops driving the OP and engine goes boom, or is there another failure mode?

Just so, Jim. Since so many of the older engines seem to have Delco-Remy short-stemmed distributors (2/2 for me) stuck in them, at this point on their last teeth, I ask about them.

Since Bretty's vacuum advance on his distributor doesn't seem to be working right, I wondered if he has a vacuum retard carb on there. A 67 should have a 1 bbl VA carb, though, right? (All assuming things are as normal).

FJ40Jim said:
Steve, are you sure?

" it runs good now with it disconeccted "

Just going with the idea that if it is working, do not mess with it...

hey guys, it has rochester 1 bbl car on it. it ran fine for a couiple weeks then it started crappin out and dyin when i hit the throttle...........im thinkn bout just leavin it off and plugged seems to be runni good............i just dont wanna cook anything.......

bretty said:
hey guys, it has rochester 1 bbl car on it. it ran fine for a couiple weeks then it started crappin out and dyin when i hit the throttle..................

When was the last time you changed fuel filters?

What was the condition of the one that you removed?

Do you still have a sediment bowl in the fuel line, just before the fuel pump?

If so, what does that look like in there?

I would bet that you have a fuel issue and not a spark issue...

But if it was a fuel issue, Steve, why would capping the distributor vacuum and the port make it run OK?

IDave said:
Since Bretty's vacuum advance on his distributor doesn't seem to be working right, I wondered if he has a vacuum retard carb on there. A 67 should have a 1 bbl VA carb, though, right? (All assuming things are as normal).
Yes, the 1967 F engine was a 1-bbl w/ vac advance port and a vac advance distributor w/ octane adjuster.

So, now I wonder what his 1bbl rochester is drilled for, VA or VR.

Just seems like something is wrong there. On the other hand, why would it run OK for a couple of weeks, then crap out, but plugging off the vacuum fixes the problem?

Brett sent me pix of his setup to unload.
Picture 001 (Small).jpg
Picture 002 (Small).jpg
Picture 003 (Small).jpg

One more
Picture 004 (Small).jpg

Quick comments:
First, WTF is that carb? Why does it have so many vacuum caps and emission widgets and cables hooked to it? And then there is the multi-layer adapter... :rolleyes:

The distributor is a conventional looking vac advance :bounce2:
points type. :frown:

I'm agreeing w/ Steve here. The distributor is pretty boring, probably not a problem. But that carb and hack installation is 17 different kinds of potential trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom