disc parking brake

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by dylan, Aug 27, 2003.

1. dylan

dylan

does anyone make a replacement parking brake? my 78 fj45 is missing all the parts but the drum.so instead of finding all the little parts. i could buy a whole new kit and be done with'er.

2. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

I heard someone say that these are crap, don't remember who or when.

3. hammerhead

hammerhead

I heard that somewhere too. But I also saw a guy do a pretty good skid with one on asphault to show off how good it works. I think it might be like the stock drums. It takes a good hand to get them right but when they are, there's nothing wrong with them.

4. toyotarules

toyotarules

I have seen hotrods w/ a disk welded directly to the driveshaft, and calipers hard mounted between the frame rails or something similar. if you are handy w/ a welder you could try something like that. course hot rods dont have all that flex to worry about, but I am sure its possible w/ a little engineering.

5. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    the little parts used are cheap....the disc kit is spendy. However, the stock setup is marginal at best so it's a tossup.

Post in the "wanted" section and I bet there are a pile of people out there with spare guts for sale cheap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.