Disc Harrow Cooking (discada) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
I just picked up a disc harrow to make into a glorified wok for trail cooking. I can't wait to give it a try. Any good paella recipes? I thought that I remembered a Tomales bay trip that Skillet hit up with a good one.

I'll post pics when I have it ready for cooking.

No recipe but I've eaten Eduardo's most excellent Paella and Fideua at OysterFest at Tomales Bay each of the last several July's after the Pacific Mountain Cruiser's Swap Meet in Petaluma...

I will tell you he reigns! Although Alvaro makes a mean second place paella...at the Doll House no less!

Skillet in the background :D

Post up pics of your new wok disc why don't cha?!
Eduardo, Oyster Fest and Paella.jpg

here are some pics of the Harrow.

It's a 22" harrow, I filled in the 1.5 " square hole and sanded it down on the inside of the disc.

And a picture of the first seasoning on the disc. I used the bottom of my 18" WSM for a heat source. worked GREAT!!!
DSCF7259-400.jpg
DSCF7260-400.jpg

That's awesome Mace!

I can't wait to start getting it rolling...

I'd make a ring to increase the height, but I like the scallops. It's kinda artsy fartsy..

Big plus is I have almost nothing in this pan. The Disc was free, the handles were made from tubing I had sitting around (couldn't make myself use old horseshoes for some reason). And the square plug was some leftover 1/4" steel I had sitting around.

that's [retty cool, Mace. I look forward to your finished products.

Do you have to do a lot of seasoning for something like that before you use it to cook?

Doesn't seem to need a large amount of seasoning. I did some 70/30 ground beef in it after letting some crisco bake into it for a couple of hrs. The meat did not stick much at all.

Theoretically, the "best" way to season them is to fry something in them. I might do something like that. But mostly I'll probably just do the taco thing this weekend and see how it turns out.

I'll try one of these recipies for it. (no vienna sausages or hot dogs tho)
Margarita's International Recipes: Chihuahua - Tacos de Discada - Chihuahuan Tacos
http://visualrecipes.com/recipe-details/recipe_id/299/Discada---How-to-Feed-30-People-with-$40/
This is the one I'm liking the best so far.
How to make Mexican Discada

I would worry about paint, etc.

I agree, however, the only bit of paint left on was a 3" circle in the middle. that was ground off when I added the section to the center.

I also set it upside down on a turkey fryer burner and turned it up on high to make sure everything on the inside was baked off before I did the Crisco treatment.

If there is something else that I should do before utilizing it to cook with I'd appreciate the suggestions.

That is very cool. I have one of those discs, I was just looking at it. Now I want to do something with it, its been sitting in the backyard for 40+ years.

I can just wire brush the rust off it, weld it and try seasoning it?

edit..........I watched that video. Acid, sanding and polishing? Seems like wire brushing and emery paper would be adequate.

Exactly what I was thinking, although I just used a flap disc on the 4.5" angle grinder to prep the surface before seasoning. Besides, during the seasoning process you heat up the pan pretty good. It should vaporize just about any bad elements in the pan before you actually use it.

But, with my luck, Atticus is right and I'll slowly poison myself everytime I use the damn thing :D

My disc is 15.75" in diameter and is 1.125" deep.

Is that too shallow?

My disc is 15.75" in diameter and is 1.125" deep.

Is that too shallow?

I don't see a problem, it just won't cook as much food at once. Which honestly is probably not a big deal at all. You are supposed to be able to cook for approx 30 people with the 22" harrow. Other people use the smaller discs as lids for the larger discs.. An idea I guess.

If there are not many farms around, you can always just buy a new one (kinda against the cheap ass in me but..).

PLAIN DISC HARROW BLADES - Agri Supply

If the disc is round, you can also add a lip to it to keep everything in the pan. Pretty easy to do and would make your pan about perfect size. Mine is a bit on the large size.

I was talking with a good friend over lunch today about this thread. His dad made him one with horseshoe handles, but he also welded 3 nuts to the bottom so they could screw in legs to cook over a campfire. I thought that was a hell of an idea and had to share it.

I was talking with a good friend over lunch today about this thread. His dad made him one with horseshoe handles, but he also welded 3 nuts to the bottom so they could screw in legs to cook over a campfire. I thought that was a hell of an idea and had to share it.

Yeppers, I was contemplating 1/2" NPT pipe unions for the exact same thing. Is three legs stable enough? Or would 4 be beneficial?

I was also thinking of a good burner for it. I already have a turkey fryer, but that thing sits very low. I did stumble across a fryer at Bass pro that sits a bit higher and should put out enough heat. Looks like it'd be easy to make taller too.
It also has a ring around the edge to keep the fry pot in place. That looks like it'd be really nice as a holder for the discada. And, considering they are on sale right now for $29 I could not put the pieces together and build one for less.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Propane-Cooker-with-Aluminum-Pot/product/10205245/-1631022

^^This

3 points is better for uneven ground.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom