Disc Conversion: Real-Time Help (Por Favor) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DoubleNickels

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm right in the middle of the minitruck front disc conversion and could use some input. The story:

1974 FJ55. Stock drum brakes on the front with goofy looking hubs. These ones:

Hubs.jpeg

Inside, the splines on the axle look like this:

1974 Axle.jpg

I found a local 1980 Toyota 4x4 donor truck. I bought the following:

Knuckles
Steering Arms
Calipers
Rotors (attached/installed on hubs)
Spindle

I did NOT buy the axle itself (the assembled inner axle + outer axle + birfield) nor the outermost locking hubs due to the absurd price the seller was asking. I was assuming I could use my current axle and goofy locking hubs, i.e. that they'd work fine in this swap.

THE SNAG: Upon assembly it would seem the axle is too "short" within the spindle, preventing me from installing my hubs properly. Is this true, or am I missing something? Is swapping the outer axle (separating the birfield to use the outermost axle) a must for these conversions?

I fear the answer is "yes", because if I swap the outer axle then I seriously doubt my hub splines will be compatible (i.e. I'll be obligated to buy the locking hubs as well).

Bah! Any advice? Anything I'm missing?

You need the fine spline birfields and fine spline locking hubs.
They are a considerable upgrade to the 6 spline stuff.

You can get just the birfields and then get IFS minitruck hubs and swap in the cromo gears that Longfield makes. OR see if you can find a set of Warn 'premium' locking hubs (the Aisin hubs are much better, though).

You need the fine spline birfields and fine spline locking hubs.
They are a considerable upgrade to the 6 spline stuff.

You can get just the birfields and then get IFS minitruck hubs and swap in the cromo gears that Longfield makes. OR see if you can find a set of Warn 'premium' locking hubs (the Aisin hubs are much better, though).

Ah! Yeah, I'm kicking myself for not realizing I needed the "outer" birfields. I read through @1973Guppie 's How-To... when he said you didn't need the "inner axle", I took that to mean your axle housing would suffice and you didn't need the donor's birfield at all. My bad. Trying to figure out how to wrap this up without obliterating my limited budget.

I really appreciate the help!

27 spline IIRC... inner (into 3rd) are all 30, then the OEM outers are 27 splines both the axle shafts and fine spline birfs. there are different length birf "noses", though I don't remember the year they changed.
I have a couple birfs and shafts laying around. I can probably put a full set of inner and outers together next week.

Last edited:
Sorry, a bit confused. Would I need both inner and outer, or just outer? Can't I just separate my existing birfield from the inner shaft and assemble with a new outer (fine spline) axle? Or are you saying that won't mesh?

If you have something lying around let me know. I'm on the hunt for locking hubs too, obviously.

Gotcha!

Headed to the classifieds section to post a wanted ad. Do let me know if you find some relevant parts in your stash.

If you didn't have budget concerns, a nice upgrade while you're doing this swap would be FJ60 vented rotors and early '90s truck/4-Runner IFS calipers. That's how I built the new axle for my '71 FJ40. Will build the new axle for my '76 FJ40 identical.

I used pretty much everything out of a 79-85 mini truck axle. Using 4Runner calipers. Install went well but do regret the swap....
There are few great threads on this (Guppy I think?) that have great pics too.
Good luck!

I just looked and have a short side axle+birfield . It's still assembled from the factory. $100 plus shipping. But, @ginericLC parts out lots of trucks and is in Idaho-he may have all the parts you need. I'd contact him first. Send me a PM if you want mine.

Now with that said, a REALLY nice upgrade would be a set of 30 spline RCVs!<<if funds allow, do this

For locking hubs, new ones these days are not that expensive. @cruiseroutfit has them for about $107.50 each - part # HUBFHT008

Thanks @Cruiserdrew . Yep, Eric's a great guy and has helped me (all of us) in the past. I've reached out to see what he has lying around.

I'm a bit budget constrained, having already spent more than planned on this conversion. Realistically I have about $200 max to source the remaining components. I fully expect to get laughed out of the Classifieds section, but it's worth a shot. I don't need anything pretty, just functional. We'll see.

My fault for not fully understanding the parts list before jumping in. :bang:

$200 doesn't seem crazy for a private sale. I picked up my complete rebuildable axle for $100.

If your budget is tight, you can likely save some by using 'WARN hubs'. Although 'ASIAN' are stronger, I've been running WARN for 20 years with a 350 SBC. The WARNs I'm running have lasted 40 years without issues. I now have spares because I've been given them by a Cruiserhead who was paring down his parts pile.

I have a set of ASCO hubs (Long bodied ASIAN) which will eventually make it on, but WARN have never let me down. Some even argue, better to have the hub let go than the birfield it connects to.

We (Cruiser Outfitters) should have some clean used AISIN hubs and used FS birfs (and the new clips you'll need too). $200 might be tight but we won't be far off. Ring us at the shop if interested.

Thank you everyone! From the Wanted Ad I posted I've actually had several members PM' me. Nice to see the cruiser karma swing full circle - I've been getting rid of "extra" parts here on MUD for reasonable prices in line with what I'd hope for/expect, so it's awesome to have that reciprocated.

I think I'm set but will post back if I'm in a bind. @cruiseroutfit I'll likely be ordering a knuckle rebuild kit in the next few days.

@1973Guppie - I'm periodically down in Carlsbad, CA for work. I'll ping you next time I'm in the area, might be neat to see your rigs.

Thank you everyone! From the Wanted Ad I posted I've actually had several members PM' me. Nice to see the cruiser karma swing full circle - I've been getting rid of "extra" parts here on MUD for reasonable prices in line with what I'd hope for/expect, so it's awesome to have that reciprocated.

I think I'm set but will post back if I'm in a bind. @cruiseroutfit I'll likely be ordering a knuckle rebuild kit in the next few days.

@1973Guppie - I'm periodically down in Carlsbad, CA for work. I'll ping you next time I'm in the area, might be neat to see your rigs.

Great, we'd love to help you out and we can make some other minor recommendations when doing the disc brake overhaul such as those inner axle clips (our Part# FACL27091), etc. Thanks!

Great, we'd love to help you out and we can make some other minor recommendations when doing the disc brake overhaul such as those inner axle clips (our Part# FACL27091), etc. Thanks!

You've helped me out so many times in the past... glad to have vendors like you offering honest pricing and top notch tech support! Also, what is the "FS" in "FS Birfs"? Trying to get the nomenclature down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom