Disc brakes with single circuit master cylinder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JBT

Threads
Can the single single circuit pre 69 master cylinder handle disc front and rear?

I do not believe so. I did a conversion with dual MC and needed a proportioning valve to adjust front and rear.

Can the single single circuit pre 69 master cylinder handle disc front and rear?

even if it could, it shouldn't as you really should go with a dual circuit system whether disc or drum or combo
change all the fittings from the 9mm to more standard 10mm

I'm not using on the road so if it stops ok on the trail I'm happy.

Drum brake master cylinder has higher pressure return valve. Even if you remove it from your single circuit master your rear brakes will have more travel and not work as well even if the front disc's do. Best to update to a dual circuit master unless you're going 4 wheel disc. Even then if the master fails you loose all breaking where a dual circuit can fail at one end or the other and you still have at least half your nornal braking.

There's a reason the auto industry did away with single-circuit brake systems on passenger vehicles, including light cars and trucks ;) . I can't imaging rock crawling and relying on one system to ensure all four brakes don't fail at the same time. I've seen the aftermath of a failed brake system on the trail.

For those that like to read about stuff -

eCFR :: Title 49 (federalregister.gov)

eCFR :: Title 49 (federalregister.gov)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom