Disc Brakes on an early Peeg (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have looked at the search function and still have some questions before I pull the trigger on this. I have a 68 or early 69 55; what all do I need to convert to front discs?

If it were mine, I'd avoid using 76 to 78 cruiser disc brakes unless you are using it on a pure street rig. The knuckles are small bolt pattern.

Other than that, I believe that FJ's used vented rotors while minitrucks used solid rotors.

also the oddball birfs

look for fj60s since they are plentiful. while you're there, pull the the prop valve.

can I & should I upgrade the inner axles too? I have read that the ball and claws are not as strong as the later ones...

are you sure you have ball and claw? you should be late enough to have a birfield. if you have ball and claw, the easiest way will be with a later axle housing since you will need to run a seal instead of the brass bushing. if you have course inner axles (at the diff side gears) you should upgrade because that (not the ball and claw) is the weak point.

are you sure you have ball and claw? you should be late enough to have a birfield. if you have ball and claw, the easiest way will be with a later axle housing since you will need to run a seal instead of the brass bushing. if you have course inner axles (at the diff side gears) you should upgrade because that (not the ball and claw) is the weak point.

ah, not sure if I have B&C, will know when I pull it apart. I had heard that my year did, but I am not sure. So upgrading due to axle spline is what is desired. OK, what year will have the fine splines I need? Thanks for unraveling the onion....BTw, I am supposing my pig is a 68 or early 69 based on the apron and the side mounted front turn sigs, as well as 67 dated tailight lenses. It does NOT have a VIN tag in the door, did they in those years? only numbers I have actually seen is the plate on the inside hood area, passenger side.

course spline will be 10 spline. you can use your existing pumpkin and just change the side gears and inner shafts, but a later pumpkin will be stronger. ideally, get a 79 or later 40 axle and you'll have to redrill the pinion flange or swap it out for a fine spline pinion, but you can easily just pick up a early 70s drum axle and buy the knuckles out from a 60 series for the discs. either option will net you the bigger belled birfs with the shorter shaft, aisan hubs, wide pattern knuckles and fine spline axle shafts. the only diff is the later 40 shaft will also get you fine spline pinion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom