Disc Brake Swap Questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C6H12O6

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, as I sit here at a standstill due to the wrong parts being shipped and me not noticing, I'll post a few nagging questions up. '74 FJ40 is being updated to FJ60 knuckles, vented rotors, 4Runner calipers, and all new hardware. Going great until I finished with the centering tool and realized that I got the shim kit for the small pattern knuckles. Moderately frustrated, as I was spending a bunch of money on the parts and was very clear what was being swapped. The vendor is famous for not making these kind of mistakes. This is the third time I've had to call them back on a problem. Not important who it is, and they've been great at taking care of the mistakes or miscommunications, but it sucks when the errors bring this job to a halt.

Anyway, I got talked into these fancy Low Range Offroad backing plate eliminators and I'm having a hell of a time finding a brake line adapter to bolt to the arm on the eliminator ring and connect the hard line to the caliper with the rubber line from the axle, as shown below:
1583114315063.png

I know a lot of guys swap this whole mess for a long soft line straight to the caliper, but then I've got this metal arm in the way for nothing. I guess I could cut it off and just use the ring, but that seems like a waste. Probably should have just ordered the rings and gone with a soft line to the caliper, but it's too late for that now. Suggestions?

This might be the easiest/cheapest solution, albeit a bit of a redneck fix.

This is the tee adapter from the drum brake backing plate. I could pretty easily cut the mount tabs off and weld on a bracket to bolt to the Long Range backing plate arm. I’d have to find a 10mm plug for one side of the tee, but that should be fairly simply. Just one more thing to leak down the road.

1EF9BF94-5DBA-4632-83CE-C72CEC477C23.jpeg

This might be another option:

I'll need to source a longer rubber hose anyway, so this might be even better. I would just need to find a hose with a 10mm female on both sides, grind the mount tab a bit thinner to accept the little spring clip to hold the hose, and mount up the hard line to the caliper. No extra adapters, and nothing else to leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom