Disc brake swap on 73 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up a 73 fj40 the other day and I want to do the front disc brake swap. I thought about swapping in a fj60 front axle so what is the best year axle for that swap and what all needs to be done for the swap( I am new to the forum, and not new to wrenching or fabbing). This is a power steering and it has a brake booster already, I just rather keep it Toyota brakes over the gm brakes. This truck has the chevy 350 conversion done already but will probably be pulling the old 350 out and either a 6bt cummins swap or the ls 5.3 since I have a few of those engines sitting in my shop. They also swapped a gm 3 speed manual trans in it and did a lift already. The body is in ok condition but no top or soft top and no doors. So I will be looking for some soft top doors and eventually a whole hard top set up. I edited this to add some pics and yes Im cheesing next to my new toy! I have wanted a fj40 for a long time.

20200312_203627.jpg

20200313_010320.jpg

Last edited:
When and if you need them, I have the 5.3 front motor mounts in my ebay store at a decent price for Mud guys, lemme know.

Plenty of threads on this swap, but basically the 60 axle swap requires out - boarding the springs to clear the third member. It's simpler to throw the 60 knuckles on your 40 housing. If you do want to go whole hog, I would (and do) use the FJ62 axle housing. They come trussed from the factory.

Welcome to the bad habit! 60 knuckles and arms have a larger TRE taper, so if you are keeping stock 40 steering, you must get TRE shims. Cruiser outfitters has those. I would also get fine spline 40 series axle shaft kit from RCV. Grinding your inner housing knuckle balls will have to be done, as well as a full axle knuckle rebuild with marlin inner axle seals!

Justin

Post up some pics let’s see what you are working on is it a sm420 or a sm465 tranny. I’m still running the old 350 with the Rochester quadrajet carb in my rig. Ive seen a cruiser with the 6bt in very nice.

Swapping in an entire 60/62 series axle is gonna be messy.

Using the 60 knuckles on the axle you already have is a decent way to go.

Post up some pics let’s see what you are working on is it a sm420 or a sm465 tranny. I’m still running the old 350 with the Rochester quadrajet carb in my rig. Ive seen a cruiser with the 6bt in very nice.

I agree; post up some pics.

I think I have the same set up as you with the sm465 3spd but I was told its actually a corvette 327 engine. Ill have to find the numbers on the engine to be sure.

20200314_114310.jpg

20200314_114153.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom