Disc brake swap help... need rotors! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys-

i am doing a disc brake swap on my '72 front end. got almost all the parts. i am putting on '90 4runner calipers and need a good rotor to match.

there are two versions of 4runner rotors, a 2WD and 4WD, and then there is a turbo iteration. i imagine there isnt much difference among the models, but i would like to know for sure. anybody have any input on that one? anybody have some recommendations? i have seen a lot of good comments on the power slot rotors, are they worth the extra money?

seem to see a lot of negative comments on cross drilling... i imagine it weakens the rotor and leads to warping... is that the case?

thanks for the help, as always!

e

From what I have heard from guys smarter than I am, If you are running over say 35s. just get the auto drone rotors. Dont really need the OEMS as the larger tires, tend to eat up rotors pretty fast. as for the 4 runner applications you got me. I would imagine the 4 wheel drive version is what you want to have the center hole opened up more. The two wheel drive doesnt have the provision for lock out hubs.

I think.

ah! i completely forgot about the hub stuff! seems silly that toyota would not just use one rotor for all 4runner applications, but , hey, what do i know, right? 4wd version is probably the way to go....

i am only running 31" tires at the moment, and plan on only 33" for the next set, so i am not too worried about beating on the rotors too hard. i hear the autodrone rotors are descent too, just thought maybe something slotted or cross drilled or gizmowhacked might be worth the extra $$ if it increases performance.

e

to my knowledge you cannot use 4 runner rotors, for any disc brake front conversions.

WHAT yr, model, etc... knuckles out are you using.

Chances are i have what you need, if you are looking.

i am using the parts off an '82 mini. i have been told the 4runner calipers are a direct bolt up, so i just assumed the rotors would work right along with them.

one place i have seen the 4runner caliper swap...

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/beanz2dt/index.html

i have seen others using late model ('81-up) vented rotors and 4runner calipers, so i have just assumed that the 4runner rotors match up with the vented LC (40/60 series) rotors as well. i have just been looking to get 4runner parts for ease of replacement once the time comes.

from what i have seen, i am assuming i am going to have to use a wheel spacer, hopefully 1/4" or so, to get it all to work. i had a hard enough time trying to find wheels with the right backspacing, i dont want to go through that again just to get bigger calipers!

HI^C, whatcha sellin? at this point, i just need the rotors and a proportioning valve, if i have correctly inventoried all my junk... well, i do need a bearing kit and a knuckle kit, but i am getting that stuff from a local cruiserhead....

thanks for your help!

e

your using 81 minitruck knuckles and 4runner calipers.. Fine..Will all work easily.. get new studs and order rotors from Rockauto about $10 each.. Look up 1984 FJ60 (will be the vented later FJ40 and FJ60 non bolt on rotor).. The rotors on your donor knuckles should have the rotor held on with the wheel studs.. If not then report back and you'll be ordering rotors for a 1977 FJ40.. Bolted on rotors instead of pressed on..

One tip.. You'll need to take a cresent wrench to your backing plate to get the caliper to fit. bend the metal out of the way.. THe caliper is a bit wider than normal due to bigger pistons.. ..

cailpers yes, but rotors no

82 (pretty sure) should have the 6 threaded bolts holding the rotors to the hubs, where later is two bolts with the studs all passing through.

thanks!

everything looks good. i got the rotors ('84 vented press fit) and things look solid. thanks for all the help guys, only an axle kit away from straight stoppin!

:bounce:

e

thanks dgangle, i knew there had to be 50 threads out there discussing this topic. for whatever reason, my searches did not pull any of those threads up.

thanks again. mud rules. :flipoff2:

e

No problem and glad you got what you needed. The search can be very helpful but sometimes provide varying results depending on what you are looking for and the keywords you use. I have found it and the Tech section to be very useful tools on this great forum. No sense reinventing the wheel and I, as well as others, like to share what we've found. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom