Disc brake part mixing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 1976 Disc Brakes on my 1974 40. One of the hub housings has had most of the Warn locking hub studs holes pretty much destroyed. Can post 1980 hubs and rotors be used ? It appears that the spindles are the same from 1976-1990. Used early hub appear to be rare and expensive.

Thanks John

No, they're different. The birfs from '76-'78 are longer as are the spindles and the locking hub bodies. I wouldn't consider any of these parts "rare" or "expensive", just a bit harder to find. Check the classifieds. You can find them.

While the birfields changed 1/79 the hubs and rotors didn't change until 7/80. Wheel bearings, calipers and a bunch of small stuff are all the same throughout the disc brake 40s which makes me think the location of the rotors on the spindles probably didn't change. The knuckles interchange easily as well. I'd guess you could run the later hub & rotor combo as long as you use the later (1/79+) birfields which will require some axle housing clearance work. Don't quote me on this, though. Be prepared to for surprises.

The knuckles interchange easily as well.

Nope, they're different. The '75-'78 have a smaller pattern steering arm and lower trunion bearing cover, at least.

'79-'90 knuckles and birfs are all the same on all the Toyota solid axles. For these years, mini-trucks had various rotor/caliper combos, but all the Cruisers were the same.

Nope, they're different. The '75-'78 have a smaller pattern steering arm and lower trunion bearing cover, at least.

Right! I should've been more specific about the steering arms and lower bearing caps. The point is that any 40 axle housing that accepts the 76-78 knuckles will also accept the 79+ knuckles. The wheel hub/freewheeling hub is what determines the birfield selection.

p.s. - Disc brake spindles are all the same as well.:)

No, they're different. The birfs from '76-'78 are longer as are the spindles and the locking hub bodies. I wouldn't consider any of these parts "rare" or "expensive", just a bit harder to find. Check the classifieds. You can find them.

Spindles are different?

Spindles are different?

As far as I know they're all the same up and through the FJ60s. Disc brake FJ40s use the same inner and outer wheel bearings all the way through the run.

What is the difference in length of the outer Birfield between the 76-79 and later one? I guess if I collected enough parts I could test fit all the combinations . I'll keep checking classifieds for the correct hub housing.

Were Warn locking hubs used on post 80 axles? I have 3 sets now , drum brake and 2 higher spline counts for the disc brake Birfields.

Were Warn locking hubs used on post 80 axles? I have 3 sets now , drum brake and 2 higher spline counts for the disc brake Birfields.

They were certainly available, but they would have been shorter than the ones in this picture. These are the longer, '76-'78 (at least) version:

attachment.php

Note the difference in the Aisins on the right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom