Disc Brake Kit or Later Disc FJ40 Axle/Housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
65 FJ40 that i want to convert to disc. Before i get flamed, I've searched and haven't really found this comparison. Trying to decide between a man-a-fre kit or getting a full front axle (housing and all) from a later disc FJ40 (from marks off road) and rolling it under (both require new plumbing so that's really not a factor afaik).

The kit looks pretty straight forward. Anyone have any feedback on difficulty of rolling under the full axle and getting things back in order? Any reason to swap the fj40 axle vs just doing the kit?

Not looking for mini-truck or fj60 options - with a 65, those options seem to both need a new housing and diff changes from what I can tell.

Thanks in advance.

im in the process of swapping components from a '86-60 axle to get the 3rd, hubs and disk brakes. It was strongly suggest to me to try to use OEM parts... there are seneral options & anftermarket 'kits'. Best of luck... I'll be wathching...

the Man-a-Fre kit (and other drum brake conversion kits) will not fit ball-and-claw front axles - which is what came OEM in a '65

I think it does, you just have to grind down a lip on the hub from what I have read and man-a-fre advised.

Personally, I'd swap in a newer axle to get a stronger drivetrain, cheaper bearings (in my experience), and all Toyota parts. I've got 4piston L/C Toyota calipers in the front, Chevy Blazer single piston calipers in the back, and it'll lock up all 4 wheel at 30 mph on dry pavement with the pressure of two fingers (80 master & booster). Towing, it'll stop 4500 lbs of truck and 4000 lbs of trailer without using trailer brakes. I only wish my other vehicles had brakes that worked so well.

All that said, I'd trust Wilwood components, just don't know about their availability in 20 years.

I fitted a complete disc to disc front and drum rear diff from an 82 bj into my 73 fj40.. I made sure I also got the master cylinder proportioning valve and booster from the same vehicle for a matching system... Its the easiest way to do it, just bolt in ready made componants, nothing to build.. As Bikersmurf says, I wish my other car would stop as well..
The only other thing you would need is a multi drilled diff flange to suit your front drive shaft...

Good luck... Gaz

Man a Fre does offer an early kit for the ball and claw front ends, you are correct in that, but I can't speak to what the installation entails.

My advice, which is as cheap as it comes, would be to source a complete axle and swap it over. The easiest would be to find a disc brake front axle. Another, and arguably stronger and potentially cheaper, option would be to find a birfield based drum front axle and convert it using fj60/62/mini truck disc brakes.

With either of these options, rebuilding the axle would be a good idea, so those costs will be pretty even. It's the initial cost of the axle & disc components that will be variable.

Last edited:
Also, not sure what your timeline is, but the last time I was on MAFs site, they are closed for a while; moving shop. Might be worth checking to see when they plan to be operational again. That may influence your decision.

Best of luck, there's support here whichever option you choose.

Yeah, MAF is closed for a bit. Sort of related question, when I go to disc, do I need to add the power booster or can I run the discs without it? I know I can, just not sure how big the difference is - again MAF has the mc and adaptor without power booster so wanted some opinions there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom