Disc brake conversion (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.nlck.no
Hi !

I'm doing a front disc brake conversion and I have a problem.... I guess I didnt do my homework :whoops:
I'm using parts from minitruck and HJ60, my HJ45 tie rod ends dont fit (to small) the steering arms. So I started to search ih8mud of course...... I found out that I was not the first to run into this problem. I'm doing a PS install, from a HJ60, sometime in the future ;p so I will not use a lot of money and time on the problem. I found this from cruiseroutfit :

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...axle-disc-brake-conversion-dummies-faq-2.html

2. Tapered spacers (or the infamous starter bushing). This simply occupies the extra space of the tie rod taper. Its a quick, dirty & cheap fix... but I don't like it for longevity and durability reasons.

(or the infamous starter bushing) Are there bushings out there who will fit ?? Starter bushings ??? Or am I just stupid ?

best fix is to buy steering arms for '79-84 *j-40/45 as they match the bolt pattern of the mini-truck and Hj-60 knuckles but have the small taper for the HJ45 tie rod.

pity you didnt wait and do the brakes with the steering, then I would just cut and sleeve both the tie rod and drag link from the 60 to fit the narrower 45.

pity you didnt wait and do the brakes with the steering, then I would just cut and sleeve both the tie rod and drag link from the 60 to fit the narrower 45.

Yes I know..... but I dont know when I have the time to do the PS. It's a big job, and I planned to do the disc brake conversion in two evenings :wrench:

I think I found the solution here:
MAF Tie Rod End Bushing

We will see ! I guess it will take 5-6 days from US to Norway. if they ship it the same day .......

:bang: M A F will not axept foreign creditcards..... they want a wiretransfere...yeahh right.... 40$ just to do my shopping there.....nooot
I have bought a lot of stuff in the US using my creditcard, never any problem..... and now I really need the bushings.... anyone know of other places they have these ?

Well, well. Maybe if you get me some parts for my Volvo axles, I will get you what you need from MAF:D
Otherwise, I know there were some threads that gave the part number to get the bushing from NAPA, but I'm not sure if its the same quality as the MAF bushing.

The best way is to do power steering and discs all at once, use 60/75 series knuckles and 75 series tie and relay rods (don't need to be shortened) go up to a 60 series steering box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom