Disc Brake Conversion help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I have a 1972 FJ40 in Nashville TN with the original drum brakes that I would like to convert to disc brakes (front only). I'm still pretty new to working on the cruiser myself and would be more comfortable with a professional doing this type of install. Does anyone know a good shop near Nashville that will do this work? Most of the places I've called have said that they aren't willing to touch it. Would love to get some recommendations here if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Raleigh

Hi all,

I have a 1972 FJ40 in Nashville TN with the original drum brakes that I would like to convert to disc brakes (front only). I'm still pretty new to working on the cruiser myself and would be more comfortable with a professional doing this type of install. Does anyone know a good shop near Nashville that will do this work? Most of the places I've called have said that they aren't willing to touch it. Would love to get some recommendations here if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Raleigh
Raleigh,
You still owe me a beverage for the rescue mission I performed for you on Harding Place last summer.
Ben

Raleigh,
You still owe me a beverage for the rescue mission I performed for you on Harding Place last summer.
Ben
Ben! Yes I do!!! That was incredible. Let's get a beer one day next week. How about next Tuesday (1/25) 4pm at Crow's Nest in GH?

What is your plan for the swap? mini-truck/ 60 parts or do you have a kit?

If you have the parts to do the swap, then it isn't much worse than doing a knuckle rebuild. You take all the old stuff off and when it goes back together you put the new knuckles, rotors, calipers, etc. Toughest part is getting the shim stack right on top of the knuckle, but if you put on what came off, chances are you will be fine. That and the steering arm. If you have the complete 40 or 60 knuckles with arms, it will be pretty easy, if you have mini-truck knuckles, you will need to cut the "J" off the back of the arm to use with the knuckles. 76 -78 40 knuckles are the smaller pattern, but parts are still available. If you aren't rock thumping, those are fine. Thats what I have on my 40 and I am just rebuilding what I have.

If you haven't ever rebuilt the knuckles, it would be a good exercise to familiarize yourself with the front-end.

I don't know if we have ever done any HAMOM (help a member out meeting, at least I think that is what it means), but maybe we could. That could be a good get to know folks type of thing. I'm way to far south to offer up my place, but perhaps @Tennessee80 or @ab1985 might know of a place closer to town where something like this might be able to take place.

Just a thought.

If you want to try another call, give Albert at Mill Creek a call. They are in Nolensville and he does Toyota work. 615-283-3454

Last edited:
I'm watching this thread, because I need to rebuild my front axle, and am planning an eventual FJ40 build, which might involve a disc brake conversion, and will exchange my labor for just the learning experience.

I'm up in Clarksville, so I could drive down to help if you decide to do it on your own. A HAMOM is something I'd be interested in.

What is your plan for the swap? mini-truck/ 60 parts or do you have a kit?

If you have the parts to do the swap, then it isn't much worse than doing a knuckle rebuild. You take all the old stuff off and when it goes back together you put the new knuckles, rotors, calipers, etc. Toughest part is getting the shim stack right on top of the knuckle, but if you put on what came off, chances are you will be fine. That and the steering arm. If you have the complete 40 or 60 knuckles with arms, it will be pretty easy, if you have mini-truck knuckles, you will need to cut the "J" off the back of the arm to use with the knuckles. 76 -78 40 knuckles are the smaller pattern, but parts are still available. If you aren't rock thumping, those are fine. Thats what I have on my 40 and I am just rebuilding what I have.

If you haven't ever rebuilt the knuckles, it would be a good exercise to familiarize yourself with the front-end.

I don't know if we have ever done any HAMOM (help a member out meeting, at least I think that is what it means), but maybe we could. That could be a good get to know folks type of thing. I'm way to far south to offer up my place, but perhaps @Tennessee80 or @ab1985 might know of a place closer to town where something like this might be able to take place.

Just a thought.

If you want to try another call, give Albert at Mill Creek a call. They are in Nolensville and he does Toyota work. 615-283-3454
Sorry for the delay as I was out of town. I think the plan would be to find a kit and do it that way. Not real sure how I would source parts otherwise. Like I said, I'm really green at this and might feel more comfortable using a kit. Thanks for input!

I'm watching this thread, because I need to rebuild my front axle, and am planning an eventual FJ40 build, which might involve a disc brake conversion, and will exchange my labor for just the learning experience.

I'm up in Clarksville, so I could drive down to help if you decide to do it on your own. A HAMOM is something I'd be interested in.
Thanks. I'm interested in that too but would need to find a good spot to make it happen. My place isn't the best right now as we are renovating the house and my wife might kill me if I start taking over the garage with extra parts, etc.

@RaleighH welcome! I have a '73 in the garage, working on getting it running/driving at the moment.

Bob at TPI Cruisers up in Gallatin used to do a bunch of disc brake conversions, you may want to give him a ring, not sure if he still does them.

I'm on the Whatsapp thread also...!

I'm in North Franklin, off Hillsboro road....

Good luck!

Joel

not sure if this is the right part kit or not, but recall someone mentioning this vendor on a FJ40 disk brake setup.

I believe one of the ms. club members was talking about this at some point, from my recollection.

Here is a how to from the FAQ in the 40 section on doing mini truck discs. The process is the same for 60 series discs.

And one on rebuilding your front end/knuckles:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom