Disaster - head IS cracked... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, this isn't good news. Tonight I got things cleaned up around the rear head plug to get ready to pull the plug tomorrow and decided to run the pressure test at 15psi to get a timed pressure drop so I'd know that the plug leak was the only leak (would allow me to redo this test after the fix to compare).

Suddenly, the coolant was not coming out just the plug, but a line leading away from it as well. The head's toast.

So, anyone with a line on a head, please PM me at your earliest convenience.

DougM

yeesh. just finished posting my best wishes on the other thread that you had it licked.

i believe the only extra 1fz head in Canada would be still bolted to a motor in a totalled 93 in a wreckers in vernon. sorry.

dude very, very, sorry to hear.............

have been watching the saga from a distance hoping for hope for the best.

wish it wasn't so.

Doug--Sorry to hear this--of all the people to have this happen to---the guy with purple amsoil balls......

Damn! :mad:

Doug,

C Bass (wrecking yard) in Payette, Idaho had a 1FZ motor that had a knock in the lower motor. I drove it. It had very little oil pressure. I don't know if they would sell just the head or not or if it would be any good. Barger Mateson in Twin Falls has a half dozen 80 series they are parting. You might check with them.

Sorry to hear about this.

s*** man: Do you know why this happened?

Maybe the moral of this story is don't baby your cruiser but run the piss out of it for it's longest and best use.

That's crazy Doug, you of all people i figured would never have something like this happen.

Can you see the cracks at all? Or do you only know they are there using a pressure test?

This is NOT Doug's original ride, this is his recent aquisition. #1 is alive and well.

well that sucks. I'd still pull the plug and check things out just incase the crack only goes to the plug and it's still the plugs fault. Seems like a wierd place for a crack to be. I've seen them in the valve area before on a Chevy 6.

sucks man, sorry to hear that

for just the head try www.car-part.com

could probably get one cheap, get it professionally rebuilt and be on your way

Doug

Sorry to hear the bad news. Nix99 often has Land Cruisers - might find a head there.

Tom

Dan,

With all your month end, and annual inventory stuff going on, when you get a moment tomorrow I'd appreciate it if you would PM me with the price of a new head. I've got the valve seals and everything would likely swap over. Groan..... Let me know what timing would be as well, since I'm up against it with the truck down already for a week.

Thanks for all the well wishes. I'll have the head off by midafternoon Friday and see what I've got. I realized what happened to lead me to believe it was just the plug. The coolant came out of the threads and coincidentally dropped off the mound the plug is in downward straight over the crack. It was only today when I began dabbing at it out of curiousity that I realized under the flow it was also seeping up from a hairline crack. Bummer, but yet again there's a bright spot - I caught it. Would have caught it tomorrow on a post-plug replacement pressure test, but this way I know not to waste time on the plug and will just be stripping 'er off. I think a good welder can repair it as it's just the top of the coolant galleries - not the cylinder/block sealing surface. We'll see.

DougM

ginericfj80 said:
Doug,

C Bass (wrecking yard) in Payette, Idaho had a 1FZ motor that had a knock in the lower motor. I drove it. It had very little oil pressure. I don't know if they would sell just the head or not or if it would be any good. Barger Mateson in Twin Falls has a half dozen 80 series they are parting. You might check with them.

Sorry to hear about this.

Actually Barger has only two and they are totally picked apart. I'm surprised they are not crushed yet. I could go check on an engine for you though. One is a 91 and the other is a 94 but I swear the engines were both gone. Sounds like its time for a Chevy swap. I've got a line on a Vortec 350 for 1200 bucks if your interested. Let me know if I can help. Barger Matson is about 5 minutes from my house.
Forrest

IdahoDoug said:
Well, this isn't good news. Tonight I got things cleaned up around the rear head plug to get ready to pull the plug tomorrow and decided to run the pressure test at 15psi to get a timed pressure drop so I'd know that the plug leak was the only leak (would allow me to redo this test after the fix to compare).

Suddenly, the coolant was not coming out just the plug, but a line leading away from it as well. The head's toast.

So, anyone with a line on a head, please PM me at your earliest convenience.

DougM

Doug not good news :frown:, YGPM

edit, have you pulled the plug yet and seen if there was an inclusion or void in the casting? it is an odd spot for a crack.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom