Disappearing FJ40's (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Back to normal programming!
I have a 78 project and its been surprisingly easy to get most of what i have needed (mostly drivetrain/steering). Some parts on back order cause Kurt doesn't have any and waiting on another shipment (new tie rods)but i am told we will get them. Mostly interior parts are most difficult for now and command some monies. This seems to have gotten little better over the years with Cruisercorps, Cityracer llc and of course Cruiser outfitters. Each seems to have grown due to the popularity of Landcruisers and difficulty in finding parts and i am thankful for their businesses.

Still hoping that the sale of a local 72 with a snowplow falls through in my favor. Hard to find the perfect little plow rig. Craigslist searches last night yielded pretty much nothing in any states surrounding me. Sad indeed cuz it ain't gonna get better!!

Back to normal programming!
I have a 78 project and its been surprisingly easy to get most of what i have needed (mostly drivetrain/steering). Some parts on back order cause Kurt doesn't have any and waiting on another shipment (new tie rods)but i am told we will get them. Mostly interior parts are most difficult for now and command some monies. This seems to have gotten little better over the years with Cruisercorps, Cityracer llc and of course Cruiser outfitters. Each seems to have grown due to the popularity of Landcruisers and difficulty in finding parts and i am thankful for their businesses.

Still hoping that the sale of a local 72 with a snowplow falls through in my favor. Hard to find the perfect little plow rig. Craigslist searches last night yielded pretty much nothing in any states surrounding me. Sad indeed cuz it ain't gonna get better!!

That 72 with the plow has one ugly paint job!

Yes it does...perfect for pushing some snow at the airport.
I’m happily married to woman who loves her cruiser. I have no need to troll town with shiny paint job in it looking for chicks! Although I’m sure it would work like a charm.

7B06FAE3-6699-4158-AC4E-38DBCC9B8296.jpeg

Here in Oregon, if you keep your eyes peeled, you can still find 40s for good prices.

I have three in my back pocket with first dibs. Ones in Washington state and the other two are in eastern Oregon.

64, 74, and a 78.
800, 1500, and 3500 respectively...
I would say they are on average 70% there...

My problem is, I already have two that I own waiting in the wings... well... not a "problem "... ;)

I agree with the OP. They’re much harder to find with fewer on the road. In ‘91 there was an Fj40 in the paper most weeks. Even back then parts were a challenge to find. At the wreckers a 40 would be picked clean within a week. Now there’s no point in calling the wrecking yards... the one that mentioned picking one up to me a few years back said the whole rig was picked up a few days after he got it. He said it was very rusty and the buyer happily paid him everything he was asking for it.

Mine was a rusty POS when I bought it. I didn’t have cash to buy a nicer one... I hind sight I should have saved up... but that ship sailed decades ago and being a purist sailed with it.

Shout out to @Racer65 for the reproduction weatherstripping. I’ve not got it installed yet, but it’s beautiful.

The web has made it easier to find parts... but there are fewer 40s and more demand. Prices have gone through the roof, and I wouldn’t recommend doing a Restoration to anyone who wants to drive it. They’re awesome, but you’ll need a second one to drive while you keep it in a hermetically sealed chamber.

Toyota had a giant problem in 2011. Many small vendors who supplied the food chain got wiped out. If I recall, the ones that never came back were for legacy parts, just like the FJ40.

When my stock 6 cylinder pulled my fully self contained travel trailer up Cajon Pass at 25 mph, and my 300 h.p. Chevota pulled the same trailer up the same pass at 55 mph, I very quickly gave up any "purist" thoughts I might have habored.

Life is too short, drive your LCs the way YOU want them to be.

Downey should buy a lottery ticket. When he named this thread, how did he know the conversation about FJ40's would disappear?

Subaru's? Really?

Redirect of subject matter happens at post #52. If no one misdirects, no problems.

I started to clean out my garage this weekend in advance for a move...I found stuff that I had forgot about and it brought a smile to my face. With 3 more 40's to restore in my fleet, they will all have homes. But YES, they are getting harder to find. I have a bunch of friends that know I collect them so I am always getting calls about what they saw somewhere. Most are overprices but I have picked up a few good deals. Here on the East Coast they are normally rusted out but still have some good parts. Keep the calls coming!

Seems to me the really desireable years; ‘76-78 are much less common these days, especially if they are fairly intact; drivetrain and lots of the original stuff. I see many earlier ones missing loads of original bits. Anyone else seeing this?

I'm new to the 40 world, having spent the last 15 in 'yota Pick Up and 60 world (and 4Runner and Sequoia..) Sorry to be one those looking for parts.. :flipoff2: and driving up the prices. But I WILL be driving it as it was meant to be driven as I wrench on it in between driving.

Lucky for me, I don't have to drive over 50 almost ever and I'm within 50 miles of endless 4WD trails. I'll be looking for full heater assembly and a 24 volt blower motor at some point, as I have "one of those" LatAm imports.

I blame this forum - I woudn't have have had the confidence to buy a 40 and do ALL the work on it, if it wasn't for my success in wrenching on my 60 with the help of all the knowledgeable LC folks here.

Oh, and my wife drove a subaru for a while too. Great ride, but we sold it for a very nice amount to get into our old Sequoia. I put the price difference into my 60, so I love Subaru's for that reason.

Of course this only applies to Subaru's which are much more capable of going the speed limit. All we have around here are 2 lane roads, and a straight one is rare. Nothing like barreling downhill on curvy road in a 40.

Own a 2015 Forester XT, last turbo year. Hauls ass and surprises many. Currently 75K miles and no significant repairs. Couple it with a set of Nokien snow tires and I relive my rally car days during winter months. Back to 40's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom