Disappearing FJ40's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I especially like the variable speed governors they come with limiting them from getting within 10 mph of the speed limit!!!!

Sounds great for passing on two lane highways. I like to get out into the on coming lane pass and get back. Last thing I need is a governor limiting how fast I can speed and then limit my speed. Not sure how I managed to stay alive so long. Never owned a car that keeps me in my lane. Or can apply the brakes without me pushing the brake pedal. I was taught to pay attention when I drive. This why I do not think the 40 series is vehicle for modern traffic where so many are paying more attention to their phone than driving.

Of course this only applies to Subaru's which are much more capable of going the speed limit. All we have around here are 2 lane roads, and a straight one is rare. Nothing like barreling downhill on curvy road in a 40.

Subaru’s strength of its drive line is also its weakness. When you have to replace one tire and due to the design of the AWD you can either shave up to 70% of the tread off the tire to match the diameter of the other tires or replace all of them to new to keep the tires within 1/4” of the outside tire circumference it is supremely wasteful. My neighbor spent almost $1300 in tires over 2 years for their Subaru because the gravel road that serves the houses kept eating tires one at a time.
Also the ridiculous issues of base gaskets on even the base non aspirated engines is not enviable either.

Maybe I should list my LV on Martha vineyards Craigslist and cash in on those rich trend setters.

Sell it to me, at least I will put it to good use.

Not the LV, I want a troopy.

Subaru’s strength of its drive line is also its weakness. When you have to replace one tire and due to the design of the AWD you can either shave up to 70% of the tread off the tire to match the diameter of the other tires or replace all of them to new to keep the tires within 1/4” of the outside tire circumference it is supremely wasteful. My neighbor spent almost $1300 in tires over 2 years for their Subaru because the gravel road that serves the houses kept eating tires one at a time.
Also the ridiculous issues of base gaskets on even the base non aspirated engines is not enviable either.
Let a buddy of mine store his hot rod subaru in my hangar over the winter couple years ago. . Definitely a fast little car but when spring came he took to shop to have them look at the brakes. Brakes were fine but mechanic asked him about the engine knock. Turns out he had to replace the entire engine. Luckily he had purchased insurance when he bought it.

I drive mine daily and drive for what it was built for. My grandson is starting to learn early with teaching of my daily riding companion

IMG_3226.jpeg
IMG_3236.jpeg

Not to differ, but I differ. A gravel road eating tires to a metric point where millimetres mean something. Please, maybe you are looking for a reason to downgrade the Subaru design. MILLIONS of people Will have a comment if they were on this forum. Sorry, the design is solid and history shows this.

Let a buddy of mine store his hot rod subaru in my hangar over the winter couple years ago. . Definitely a fast little car but when spring came he took to shop to have them look at the brakes. Brakes were fine but mechanic asked him about the engine knock. Turns out he had to replace the entire engine. Luckily he had purchased insurance when he bought it.

So, is the Subaru engine a poor design also ?

Not for me to make that call. However a past class action lawsuit against Subaru for the WRX STI engine maybe speaks to its quality.
Cheers

Not for me to make that call. However a past class action lawsuit against Subaru for the WRX STI engine maybe speaks to its quality.
Cheers

Yes, the SMALL number of these are getting complaints. Similar to any company small production runs. Please , I know people here with 20 year old vehicles running fine. They did not buy the Shelby rig of production. It is manufacturing and I told you Subaru is in the top ten ever of no recalls, can you say that for anyone else ? It is a great driveline design for modern roads , that is all.

Cheers

You may want to review HAGERTY on the WRX as it is still agreat rig, but , some issues. Subaru has millions more that are not used as "fast and furious" that people use daily in harsh conditions. Thanks.

I had a friend in college that owned two wrx’s. One alittle older mid 90s one and a 03 or 04 model he got new as we went to school. One was always broken. He never had both at the same time one would always be in the shop. I remember having to drive him to get something like a book out of his car one time when both were in the shop.

He still owns them both but daily drives something else

People that have the outback love them from what I’ve seen.

I actually hope the new Bronco takes people away from LCs that were never really serious about them in the first place... the posers, the lifestyle vehicle buyer, etc.

Let Ford have those people.

Lol. Reminds me of the stuff I read on /r/gatekeeping.

I had a friend in college that owned two wrx’s. One alittle older mid 90s one and a 03 or 04 model he got new as we went to school. One was always broken. He never had both at the same time one would always be in the shop. I remember having to drive him to get something like a book out of his car one time when both were in the shop.

He still owns them both but daily drives something else

People that have the outback love them from what I’ve seen.

Correct, most people buying the wrx had different intentions than the millions of other units. They beat the wrx. People who buy the rest want a good rig and longevity. Seems normal. Do not base Subaru on the wrx.

Downey should buy a lottery ticket. When he named this thread, how did he know the conversation about FJ40's would disappear?

Subaru's? Really?

Downey should buy a lottery ticket. When he named this thread, how did he know the conversation about FJ40's would disappear?

Subaru's? Really?

I was thinking the same thing
it did take 3 1/2 pages to turn into chat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom