Disappearing FJ40's (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm probably going to go ahead and cash out on my 40 and all the extra parts. Take that extra loot and buy a new Bronco.
You serious Clark??

^^^ Don't scare me like that man...Ever since we lost Weber Sarge, Lostmarbles, bj40green among many other old guard who literally taught me how to fix my truck over the internet comments like that make me nervous!

I bought it to enjoy it, not lock it in the garage. If I wear mine out and wreck it up it did exactly what it was meant to do and did exactly what I bought it to do.

This was actually my take on car ownership too - one shared by my father in law who has a fleet of classics. If you aren't going to drive them like they were meant to be driven - what's the point? Every time I run my rig into a tree or tear off a fender flare, I get bummed, don't get me wrong - but if it just sat in the garage looking pretty I feel like I'd be doing it a disservice.

Easier to find a FJ40 than a FJ60 - overnight they were gone from Craigslist. FJ40 parts can still be had - I have what I need in case something fails on the road. If you work the FJ40 community, seems like everyone has something stored away. Some for sale if you ask nicely.

The Bronco is really nice -getting the two door for daughter. Each vehicle has it proper owner. I have had jeeps, scouts, broncos - enjoyed them all.

I'm shocked by the complete disappearance of FJ60's and the price the ones that are left now command. There was one for sale near my parents a few years ago, running, driving, a little bit of rust in the rear fenders, 260,000mi. The guy wanted $1500 for it. Probably should have just bought it and stashed it somewhere. 80-series are getting the same way. I feel like there has been a huge upsurge in urban/hipster "overlander" types that buy up the old LC's to throw a roof top tent on and go glamping on the weekend and take cool pictures for their instagram. The sooner they get back into their Subaru Outbacks the better off we'll be.

Some were headed to the scrap heap...
3DD87EBD-CCB8-4D87-BE6B-D0008E3D0B36.jpeg

^^^ Don't scare me like that man...Ever since we lost Weber Sarge, Lostmarbles, bj40green among many other old guard who literally taught me how to fix my truck over the internet comments like that make me nervous!

they all sold ? - WOW - I must have missed it

I hardly ever sell anything, and for sure the 40 will be last :flamingo:

they all sold ? - WOW - I must have missed it

I hardly ever sell anything, and for sure the 40 will be last :flamingo:

yep! All cruiserless last I heard - between that and learning of Kevin’s passing its some tough losses.

I try hard not to sell anything either - I’m trying to figure out how to justify keeping my beater Mazda 3 insured even though I drive it like 1000mi a year. It’s stick shift - basically a unicorn these days.

My wife has express instructions to provide me a Viking funeral in my FJ40. If I die she is to put me in the driver’s seat, set it ablaze, put a brick on the gas pedal and send it over a cliff like a glorious square comet. So I guess eventually I’ll be part of the disappearing FJ40 problem.

Last edited:
I used to see people driving rusty FJ40s on occasion in Colorado Springs, and now I not only never see FJ40s, I never see FJ60/62s either, and now an FJ80 is a 'rare sight'. With higher traffic speeds and psycho drivers, it's harder to feel comfortable driving an ancient truck, which might explain some of this.

I drove my freshly restored '82 minitruck to work today, and 65 on the highway felt like a comfortable max. It would have been screaming at 75. No A/C, so I flipped open the vent windows at lunch. But, how many people want to drive this sort of thing all the time? A co-worker couldn't believe that this '82 did not have A/C or PS.
I suspect a lot of the FJ40s and 60s are garage queens, mine included (at times). I doubt that many have been totalled or junked in the last 10 years.

With higher traffic speeds and psycho drivers, it's harder to feel comfortable driving an ancient truck, which might explain some of this.

I feel the same way. I know if the posted speed is 65 MPH if your not doing anything inder 70 MPH on a four lane highway they speed by you like your standing still. Two lane highway they back up behind and will risk their life and everybody's else's trying to pass. Feel a lot more comfortable driving my Sequoia that was designed and build in this century verses one based on a vehicle build in the mid fifties in the last century.

I feel the same way. I know if the posted speed is 65 MPH if your not doing anything inder 70 MPH on a four lane highway they speed by you like your standing still. Two lane highway they back up behind and will risk their life and everybody's else's trying to pass. Feel a lot more comfortable driving my Sequoia that was designed and build in this century verses one based on a vehicle build in the mid fifties in the last century.

Coming back from Fall Crawl last year (320mi round trip) I had an 18-wheeler riding my bumper and blowing his horn at 70mph. I can only assume I was going too slow for his liking but too fast for him to pass me. With my 350 I can easily do 80MPH but the sound is deafening and the suspension and steering at that speed (even with power steering) gets super sketchy.

I'm shocked by the complete disappearance of FJ60's and the price the ones that are left now command. There was one for sale near my parents a few years ago, running, driving, a little bit of rust in the rear fenders, 260,000mi. The guy wanted $1500 for it. Probably should have just bought it and stashed it somewhere. 80-series are getting the same way. I feel like there has been a huge upsurge in urban/hipster "overlander" types that buy up the old LC's to throw a roof top tent on and go glamping on the weekend and take cool pictures for their instagram. The sooner they get back into their Subaru Outbacks the better off we'll be.
This comment nails it perfectly. “ Hipsters on Instagram” The 40’s do attract attention. Recently I was out in the Bradshaw Mtns and as a Subaru approached I commented the section behind me is really rocky and off camber with no bail lines. The guy said he wasn’t worried “he has a Subaru.“. Two days later I run into a buddy of mine in the Jeep posse, apparently a member of their group had to extract a guy in what sure sounded like the same Subaru later in the day in the same area I had been thru. I partly blame the manufacturers for giving these folks an inflated image of what a unibody low clearance vehicle is capable of. And Subaru “egos” as well.

This comment nails it perfectly. “ Hipsters on Instagram” The 40’s do attract attention. Recently I was out in the Bradshaw Mtns and as a Subaru approached I commented the section behind me is really rocky and off camber with no bail lines. The guy said he wasn’t worried “he has a Subaru.“. Two days later I run into a buddy of mine in the Jeep posse, apparently a member of their group had to extract a guy in what sure sounded like the same Subaru later in the day in the same area I had been thru. I partly blame the manufacturers for giving these folks an inflated image of what a unibody low clearance vehicle is capable of. And Subaru “egos” as well.

My kids have been raised to understand how much their Dad hates Subaru's. Unfortunately every other car in Steamboat is a Subaru. Its kinda fun to pass em then smoke em a little with the BJ45. I'm going to miss that after i do the engine rebuild.

I hate Subaru’s , overrated pos .

Seems you have a strong opinion. I own an FJ40 and a FJ45 and love them both. They are old school as technology was in the 1960s. But I will say Subaru all wheel design is really great for modern roads. The FJ40 was a utility vehicle that could work on dirt roads and also be acceptable for paved roads. That is why they were shipped all over the world and even third world. Subaru also is in the top ten of car companies with the LEAST recalls. I understand the anti thoughts because of the clickish buyers , but, I look at vehicles for design and not what click buys them. Actually, the FJ40 is fast becoming the clickish vehicle as they are all over Marthas Vineyard from TLC4x4 and FJCO. And they are not needing them as the roads are paved in gold over there.

I especially like the variable speed governors they come with limiting them from getting within 10 mph of the speed limit!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom