Disapearing Power Steering Fluid :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a hard day of mud wheeling and being winched out of a steep muddy incline running over various vegatation and sort...
and Using Front lockers heavily during this time, wich I know put a bit more stress on the power steering on turns.

I found myself with an empty power steering system...

Looked all over for signs of leaks but found none..

Filled PS, one whole bottle and drove home, pump was making more noise than usual and liquid was frothy...

Next day, PS was low again 1/2 bottle, Still no signs of leaks on floor or around engine.:confused:

Next day, PS low again another 1/2 bottle.....

OK I know I HAVE to have a leak somewhere!
Shouldnt I be seing drops on my driveway or a real mess of oil i my engine compartment by now?

I just ordered a PS rebuild kit (I have large 35" tires and I know the pump must be needing rebuild by now)

Havent had time to look very colsely at the entire engine bay but is there any particualr area I should be inspecting, possibly any high pressure line area I might have bumped during my wheeling?
Or could the PS pump be leaking into an enclosed area im not aware of?

Last edited:
Check you oil level, it's likely leaking into the crankcase.

I checked that the first day, but did not notice anything odd...

But now that you mention this as a possiblity, I will look closer into the oil.

Any easy way to tell if PS fluid and motor oil is mixed?
and what possible damage can occur from driving with this mixed oil types?

I checked that the first day, but did not notice anything odd...

But now that you mention this as a possiblity, I will look closer into the oil.

Any easy way to tell if PS fluid and motor oil is mixed?
and what possible damage can occur from driving with this mixed oil types?

It's somewhat common for the front P/S pump seal to leak, everyone that I have resealed have been hard/cracked. When it leaks, it is into the crankcase, with the motor oil. Short term, don't see how it will cause any damage to the motor, but running the pump low isn't good for it, so would reseal ASAP.

OK I got the seal kit...

Are there any other parts in this pump I should order to rebuild it?

Like some of the wiper blades or anything while Im in there?

Part# would be great but not necesary, I can always find the part numbers at the part shop... just describe the part well... :)

No other parts are typically needed, sometimes the bearing is, but they are common, available at most parts stores. I always replace all of the low pressure hoses, need ~18" of 5/8" and ~3' of 3/8" of power steering or oil return (low pressure) hose, NOT heater/water hose.

What about replacing g the bearing in the pump? My gates kit did not come with one. I'm assuming its best to replace it...

How many have you rebuilt and found the bearing not so good?

if your pump it's giving up .. seals ( rebuild kit ) will just seal oil leaks .. but IMOP would not help if it's an pressure / flow problem ..

What about replacing g the bearing in the pump? My gates kit did not come with one. I'm assuming its best to replace it...

How many have you rebuilt and found the bearing not so good?

IIRC, have only seen one that wasn't in the best condition (a bit of a click) in about a dozen pumps. It is lubed in the oil, so they last a long time. If one is needed, they are a common number, easy to get, but are a bit of a pain to get off/on.

if your pump it's giving up .. seals ( rebuild kit ) will just seal oil leaks .. but IMOP would not help if it's an pressure / flow problem ..

True, but I have never seen one that had hard part damage. If it's leaking, there is often air getting sucked in, and/or carbon/gunk plugging it up (if fluid has never been changed) affecting performance. So, cleaning and new seals will often restore performance. The earlier type pumps, FJ60 and older, often have wear, need hard parts or not worth building, have never seen a vane type with this type of issue.

have never seen a vane type with this type of issue.

true .. that kind of damage can occur in any new one if been run out / low on fluid or you make it work too hard making that oil not as efficient as it should be ..

true .. that kind of damage can occur in any new one if been run out / low on fluid or you make it work too hard making that oil not as efficient as it should be ..

"Can, could, maybe, possibly" happen. I have seen it in other brands and types of pumps. In some cavitation damage is common.

On the Toyota vane pumps, the rotor, vanes, etc, look to be hardened, very good quality. Even if run "empty" so it wont make pressure, groans, etc, there is still plenty of fluid in there to lube the pump. Would need to run it empty for a very long time or clean it out, to have it dry enough to cause to cause damage.

It could happen, but I have built lots of them, some very nasty, and never seen one with damage. It maybe common, but I have never seen it.:meh:

Crap, I was hoping in a way to NOT find this answer to the disappearing PS fluid mystery.. Wondered why my low oil light went out :) I'll try to re-read this to better understand the problem, but I may have questions for what the fix is. (Example, will the rebuild kit resolve this or are new parts needed)..

The reseal kit is ~$10.:meh:
Thanks! Could you provide the part number?

If I was in a major hurry and wanted to just replace the failed seal that is allowing fluid into the crankcase, which one is it?
(It looks like I need to strip the pump nearly all the way down to get to the seal, however, not sure which one yet.
This one?
OilSeal_zps1mcub1iy.png
[/URL]

Thanks! Could you provide the part number?

If I was in a major hurry and wanted to just replace the failed seal that is allowing fluid into the crankcase, which one is it?
(It looks like I need to strip the pump nearly all the way down to get to the seal, however, not sure which one yet.
This one?
OilSeal_zps1mcub1iy.png
[/URL]

Read through this?
fj80 and lx450 ps pump rebuild

If it was not making noise the bearing is likely fine.
I put a SKF in mine and the original was fine.
I was just scared that it might be bad and I would be stuck.

Bax454, you pointed out the correct seal to be replaced. That seal keep the PS fluid and engine oil from mixing. When the seal fails PS fluid under pressure will leak through the seal and into the engine oil. You will have to disassemble the pump to get at the seal and bearing.

Thanks All!
I am going to cancel my snow run Monday and just start tearing it down. First time this thing as really failed me, well sort of, I been driving it all around still, just not going to make a trek into the deeper woods, knowing I have 3+ qts of ATF in there now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom