Disabling ABS on the 100 series? (2000 LX470) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All,
I had two incidents, each occurring 1 week apart where the right front wheel speed sensor / ABS unit must have lost comms to whatever control unit it relays info to. I was at highway speed (60+ mph) and the traction control alarm went off on a slight incline, under normal acceleration with a slight right hand curvature to the road. As soon as the alarm went off, the ABS system kicked in the and the power was cut, while the whole vehicle simultaneously and violently veered to the right side probably about 8ft before I could get it under control, which put me almost into the guard once and into another lane the second time. The traction control alarm frequently goes off, and I'm very worried that this situation will be repeated.

I tried pulling the ABS relay but the car started alarming (I think for the parking brake since without the relay in place it seems to think that the parking brake is engaged). Can anyone advise what to pull to disable ABS and not cause an audible alarm?

I'll be replacing the ABS/wheel speed sensors and yaw sensor as well in the future, but the S8 needs turbos first. So was gonna yank the relays on the ABS for now.

Unplug the sensors at the wheel? I suppose I can do that. I figured the relay would be easiest, but it sure makes a lot of noise.

Unplug the sensors at the wheel? I suppose I can do that. I figured the relay would be easiest, but it sure makes a lot of noise.

Can't IIRC. Find where they wire up to the engine bay, should be right on the fender liner. Easy removal (and easy to put back if you ever need that).

Can't IIRC. Find where they wire up to the engine bay, should be right on the fender liner. Easy removal (and easy to put back if you ever need ? that).

Kind of following. You’re saying follow the harness from the wheel hub up into the engine bay one on each wheel?

Can they not be disconnected at the wheel hub?

You have a VSC problem. Do a search here and allocate a few hours to read the results.

Alright will do. The heck is VSC?

Stability?

Vehicle Stability Control. It's a safety feature that started with the 2000 model year in the 100 series. It's claim to fame is that with age it evolves, or devolves, into a safety hazard as well - kind of a split personality disorder.

Kind of following. You’re saying follow the harness from the wheel hub up into the engine bay one on each wheel?

Can they not be disconnected at the wheel hub?

Yep, and I don't think so, no.

@97 AZ LC is right though—you've got an underlying issue. Usually what's happening is that the sensors read fine and detect a slight difference in wheel speeds. Loose wheel bearings, blown ball joints...something's not quite right, and the VSC kicking off is your canary in the coal mine.

Well alright. This is my first LC, so lots of ground to cover here I suppose. Something suspension related / possibly a wheel speed sensor sounds like the places to start.

As mentioned above:

I start with checking wheel bearings and ball joint for play.
These are extreme examples of plat in wheel bearings and Low Ball joints. But no play whatsoever should be seen or felt:

Then check steering racks mounting bushing & TRE.
Additionally with the AHC of the LX470. If to far out of adjustment. Produces a sloppy ride. Which can set off VSC TRAC, which commands ABS.

Not so easy to check is control arm bushings, which also need considering.
Even differences in tire tread, can result in wheel speed differences.

Last edited:
I suppose then it may be relevant to say that AHC light is on, as the system was replaced with Old Man Emu setup and a 2" lift. As far as things in the suspension system that would change geometry / add to "play" in the setup.

Thanks for the vids. Very helpful in knowing where to start.

I suppose then it may be relevant to say that AHC light is on, as the system was replaced with Old Man Emu setup and a 2" lift. As far as things in the suspension system that would change geometry / add to "play" in the setup.

Thanks for the vids. Very helpful in knowing where to start.
This would stiffen the suspension. Which should not be part of your problem. Provided your front end lower than rear (rake), by at least 3/4". Otherwise you'll get HWY wondering.

Sounds like a VSC problem. Just disable it. I had a similar problem

How do you disable VSC?

Edit:

Oh. Lol. I’m on my phone. Thanks, will check it out.

Here's a video of setting wheel breakaway pre-load

sorry to kinda hijack here

I know that's the FSM method, but especially with oversized tires I've always done the following:

- Tighten the nut with a lot of torque, spin the hub a few times, then back it off. Repeat a couple of times
- Mount the wheel and tire to the hub. Torque down a couple of lug nuts so it's tight
- Tighten the center nut until you can grab the tire at 12 and 6 and not feel any play in the bearings. It will take a few tries of backing it off and re-doing it

maybe more of a quick and dirty method, but curious to hear your thoughts.

I've permanently grounded the wire in question and VSC is now showing as off in the dash. Only time will tell if this has resolved the issue but initial testing seems like it's a resolved issue. Thanks everyone!

When this happened to me this summer, I laid on the ground and had my wife turn the steering wheel. My 285k rack bushings had given up the ghost - it was something to see how much the rack moved. As others have said, VSC alarming is the symptom of a problem. Keep looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom