Disable Dome Lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
andrewloe.com
A couple of times this summer I am going to sleep in the back of my FJ60, its really nice if I can roll the windows down and flip the tailgate open, the only problem is it kills my battery. How can I wire up a switch that will let me disable the rear dome light? Is it possible to get a unit like on the front dome light that will let me go on/door/off.

The rear dome light on my 86 has three positions like the front. Verify that yours doesn't also, but if not you could swap in a later one. Or pull the bulb.

Cruisergreg said:
The rear dome light on my 86 has three positions like the front. Verify that yours doesn't also, but if not you could swap in a later one. Or pull the bulb.

Doesn't :( Just has a light. I'd also like to rig this light up so that when the doors are opened, the back light turns on, makes the whole car brighter.

I'll second changing it to different dome if yours doesn't have the 3 way switch. Cruiserparts.net would probably have a used one.

My '85 has the 3-way switch and it's nice for camping. Not sure how to rig it so that it goes on when the side doors are opened, but with a buddy, a free afternoon, a roll of wire, and some head scratching , I'm sure it's doable.

For a general swap, too, I have swapped out the bulbs for George's LEDs in both my 62's domes -- they're perfect, and seem brighter than in my 80s --

-- maybe my 62 just isn't used to such high-technology -- :D

e

you gotta get a tradesman roofrack, with the mesh floor, and you can camp on the roof!
hammer

gulp3000 said:
Not sure how to rig it so that it goes on when the side doors are opened, but with a buddy, a free afternoon, a roll of wire, and some head scratching , I'm sure it's doable.
No doubt. Add a diode, and you can probably even set it up so the hatch triggers only the rear light, and the doors trigger both lights.

Oh, and my 11/83 FJ60 has a switch on the rear dome, Andrew. Yours is an oddball, or a PO modification. Either way, cruiserparts.net has rear dome lights in stock for $15.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom