Disable car to prevent theft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have tricks for disabling the car or preventing theft of a 2004 LX?

I’ve always worried about leaving the car alone off road. Of course being off road means there are very few thieves around. And maybe these cars are already hard to steal. But humor me. Thanks.

1653611122263.png

I removed some retro SIM card based tracking/disabling system that the previous owner had installed. It had a relay spliced in one of the starter control wires.
I did not really liked the idea of complex and remotely operated system having control on me being able to start the car, so I removed the relay, but I replaced it with a manually operated switch.
Symptoms are that when you turn the key the dash light up, the starter solenoid clacks, but no start.

Neither of mine have been jacked and i live in little rock and park them all over the place doin cpa work. The security module in the ignition system is apparently decent.

You could pull a relay for the fuel pump. Sometimes if I leave mine parked at the airport I put the transfer case in neutral.

Pull a relay but most likely people will steal parts not the entire car. Skid plate to protect your CAT and pull a fuse if you don't want it to start.

You could pull a relay for the fuel pump.
I think I’ll stick with this. I’ve done it on other cars when one of my teenagers get upset and I fear they will run off with a car in a bad state of mind!

cut clean through the engine harness with battery cable cutters

Pretty genius on the t case. Last thing someone in a panic trying to hijack a car would think of.
I'll be honest, even I was in a hurry to get to work once and I forgot that I had it in neutral! Was swearing and carrying on about why my truck wasn't reversing.

In my mind if I was a car thief, I would be inclined just to drive around with a flat bed tow truck and hoik any car I want onto the back and drive off. Wear hi viz, and everyone will assume you are just doing your job. I tend to forget to lock my car a lot of the time, and often people just want to rifle through the car and pinch my coins (or in the old days my CDs). My fail safe is a GPS tracker, so that even if the car does go missing, I can always track it down and send around the police.

In all honesty, I'm more worried about leaving my truck out in the bush and someone trashing it. All it takes is for someone to damage the custom cut panel, and it's a $20k repair job. So I've taken out a very expensive and extensive insurance policy.

Last edited:
In my 92 Maxima, years ago many owners wired an ignition kill switch into the fog light switch. Easy to push it in when leaving the car, and the car wouldn’t start but was a factory button so not suspected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom