Builds Dirty Koala Build - Cummins 6BT + NV4500 + HF2AV Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Correction above, not split case, but HF2A (part-time).

Stock is 8mm studs. There are a bunch of ways to upgrade, one being more dowel pins, another being ARP studs and another being 10mm studs. Search "FF stud upgrade" or something along those lines in either the hardcore section or the 60 series section.

Thank you, I will look into this. ARP studs are going in the head...might as well see what they can do for hubs.

Today Frank's @yodaTEQ food warmer arrived. I love getting products that are packaged nicely, Frank and @AdventureToolCompany are two vendors that really excel in this area.

This warmer is really well built...I either need to figure out a way to adapt it to the cummins or I need to buy another landcruiser.... :hmm:

20150211_155417.jpg

20150211_155615.jpg

20150211_155629.jpg

Today Frank's @yodaTEQ food warmer arrived. I love getting products that are packaged nicely, Frank and @AdventureToolCompany are two vendors that really excel in this area.

This warmer is really well built...I either need to figure out a way to adapt it to the cummins or I need to buy another landcruiser.... :hmm:
If you find a place to put it let me know. I am completely out of room. I have just enough room to get my hands around the fuel and oil filters. I change the oil filter by using a wrench from the PS wheel well. Only spot I wi have in the future is where the ABS module/contraption is. It will get removed eventually. Once you add intercooler, dual batteries, ... it gets tight.

I just got off the phone with Dustin, final pricing on the adapter had been determined and parts have been ordered.

The adapter kit includes the adapter plate and hardware, a new 2wd mainshaft that gets cut, turned and respined for the HF2AV. A new 5th gear and 5th gear nut kit.

You then rebuild your NV4500 with these parts and bolt on the HF2A(V) case.

Since I do not plan to be towing 10-15k lb loads with the cruiser, there is a limit to how much torque can physically get applied to the drivetrain...I doubt that I would actually be able to apply all 900 ft/lbs when the the truck only weighs 6500lbs. My only concern for the axles are shock loads from wheel slippage and sudden gripping. I am not too concerned however since while offroad I am not going to be winding the motor up much...this isn't a KOH truck.

Most of my parts will arrive next tuesday, the adapter will be a couple weeks out. Hopefully by the time the adapter arrives I will have the engine overhaul complete.

To hold the power that I will be building, I ordered up a Southbend 13" single disc clutch kit that is good for 425hp and 850ft/lbs. Part number 13125-OK-HD.

The kit comes with a new flywheel to support the 13" clutch. It is my understanding that the SB clutches are rated conservatively, so even if my power levels slightly exceed those parameters, it will still hold fine.

I was on the fence whether or not to upgrade the NV4500 input to the 1.375" shaft, but since I am running 315's, with plans to go to 345's, I decided it would be worth the investment. I ordered an input shaft kit from Southbend also. Part number ISK1.375

... I am not too concerned however since while offroad I am not going to be winding the motor up much...

Yes, but the concern is that the cummins makes stupid torque very quickly. By 2000rpm you've got just about all the torque it can produce depending on how it's tuned. It doesn't take much throttle to get there. I do look forward to seeing how long you can make the Toyota axles last. Wheeled conservatively you hopefully can get some miles out of them but I'm glad you are open to the idea that upgraded parts are probably in your future, especially with that kind of power and how quickly it comes on.

Yes, but the concern is that the cummins makes stupid torque very quickly. By 2000rpm you've got just about all the torque it can produce depending on how it's tuned. It doesn't take much throttle to get there. I do look forward to seeing how long you can make the Toyota axles last. Wheeled conservatively you hopefully can get some miles out of them but I'm glad you are open to the idea that upgraded parts are probably in your future, especially with that kind of power and how quickly it comes on.

I am definitely open to upgraded axles, but I won't go down that route until things start breaking. If they don't break, then I save myself some coin...If they do break, then we have a new reference point for the stock axles.

Can you say Toyota Army Green Monstaliner? You can now!

I worked with Eric @magnetman to develop this shade of Monstaliner. I sent a painted steel sample to Eric and he was able to match perfectly to the Army/Dark green of the Toyota FJ Cruiser. I didn't do a perfect job applying it, but that was mostly user error. I applied during the night in a dimly lit garage, while it was raining outside...the humidity gave me about 30 mins of pot-life, so I had to work quick. Overall, I am very happy with the end result.

Other improvements I have made while I had her torn apart.
  • I tore off my junk Pro-line rear bumper and installed a Slee dual-swingout and hitch. This thing is stout...20 bolts holding it to the chassis. I still need to install the ladder.
  • I replaced all four window runs
  • Replaced both the inner and outer window trim for all windows including the outer rear quarter
  • Made up new vapor barriers for all four doors using 6mm concrete underlay plastic and butyl tape
  • Installed 3/4" rubber door looms from electric-life so I have a clean way of routing the ditch lights and CB coax (coming later).
  • Installed @SoCalFrank ditch light brackets and rear hatch brackets along with two pairs of knockoff dualies that I have had sitting around for about a year. I still need to wire up the relays and switches.
  • Since I had the headlights out and the snorkel off, I decided to give the inside of the fenders a liberal coating of primer so prevent the backside of my welds from rusting out.
  • I had two cans of Army Green spray paint mixed up which I used to paint my mirrors and I then applied two coats of clear. They came out decent, but I may redo them.

View attachment 956124 View attachment 956125 View attachment 956128 View attachment 956129 View attachment 956130
Hi. your truck is looking great. question; what kind of tires are those?....Am I reading correctly on your signature.. BFG KM2s 315/75/16?
frisman

Hi. your truck is looking great. question; what kind of tires are those?....Am I reading correctly on your signature.. BFG KM2s 315/75/16?
frisman

Yes that is correct, they are BFG KM2s 315/75/16. For the type of trails that we run around here they are a great tire. I also have no problems with them on the road, and I commute 120 miles per day. I am likely going to get the same tires in 345 when these ones wear out.

Maybe I missed it but are you leaving the stock case AWD or converting to part time?

Maybe I missed it but are you leaving the stock case AWD or converting to part time?

I already part timed my case. I have a spare full time case that I could swap in if I find having 100% power going to the rear axle to be too much.

I've got that same 13" clutch in my rig. 26k miles later and it's still perfect. No, I am not nice to it.

I've got that same 13" clutch in my rig. 26k miles later and it's still perfect. No, I am not nice to it.

Good to know. I have been told that it is a fairly smooth engaging clutch, not too grabby, which is what I want for wheeling.

Good to know. I have been told that it is a fairly smooth engaging clutch, not too grabby, which is what I want for wheeling.

For sure. You're more than welcome to drive mine at CMCC to get a feel for it if you'd like!

For sure. You're more than welcome to drive mine at CMCC to get a feel for it if you'd like!
By CMCC I plan to have my swap complete...but I will definitely take you up on that offer...never driven a 4BT powered 60. You can take my truck for a spin to see how you like the 6BT.

Next step is to figure out the hydrualics. I think a Euro spec set of pedals and mater cylinder...possibly from Yan @Akella and a stock or Southbend slave cylinder is the route to go. Will need to figure out how to adapt the different threads.

I kicking myself now for not getting a ride along in your 60 when I had the chance. It's not everyday to get to see a Cummins/NV4500 in a cruiser.

I kicking myself now for not getting a ride along in your 60 when I had the chance. It's not everyday to get to see a Cummins/NV4500 in a cruiser.

I'd have given you the keys if you wanted :D

Next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom