Builds Dirty Koala Build - Cummins 6BT + NV4500 + HF2AV Swap (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did this ultimately fix your starting/wiring issue?
I used it that way for quite a while until I realized that I wasnt getting enough current draw for starting. I wired my two group 31 batteries in parallel with 0AWG cable and then removed one of those Ford solenoids from the equation. With the batteries wired in parallel there is enough current to start and pull the shutoff solenoid plunger up when you turn the key.

So I was getting tired of the old ARB and wanted something a little more unique to spruce up the front end....time to go custom.

The high clearance approach angle requires notching off the leading lower edge of the frame horns, which also meant notching and capping the intercooler.
View attachment 1924275

Bumper is all welded up minus the tube work and light tabs..loving this look.
View attachment 1924277
View attachment 1924279

What bumper is that, I want a front bumper, but having a inter cooler in the way for most front bumpers, I am not a ARB cookie cutter unit

I used it that way for quite a while until I realized that I wasnt getting enough current draw for starting. I wired my two group 31 batteries in parallel with 0AWG cable and then removed one of those Ford solenoids from the equation. With the batteries wired in parallel there is enough current to start and pull the shutoff solenoid plunger up when you turn the key.

I had start up issues, and I just put in line a relay, with the ford solenoid, and now I have zero issues

What bumper is that, I want a front bumper, but having a inter cooler in the way for most front bumpers, I am not a ARB cookie cutter unit
It is a custom bumper.

The 90 elbow needs to be drilled and tapped to the right size threads...I think the nipple side was 1/2" NPT...I can't recall what the toyota sensor thread pitch was though.

Dumb follow up question - The Toyota temp sensor that goes into the 90 elbow is for the dash gauge, correct? Because you have deleted the Toyota engine ECU (and second temp gauge) because the Cummins is mechanical?

Same question for the A/C cutout temp sensor. It plugs to the Toyota A/C...amplifier?

Dumb follow up question - The Toyota temp sensor that goes into the 90 elbow is for the dash gauge, correct? Because you have deleted the Toyota engine ECU (and second temp gauge) because the Cummins is mechanical?

Same question for the A/C cutout temp sensor. It plugs to the Toyota A/C...amplifier?
Yes the temp sensor used is for the dash guage. I need to check the AC cutout setup as I am drawing a blank on what I did...I think it's on the drivers side of the block.

Yes the temp sensor used is for the dash guage. I need to check the AC cutout setup as I am drawing a blank on what I did...I think it's on the drivers side of the block.

30428-E7-F-4-E39-404-F-9393-AFB358215-B93.jpg

I can’t tell from your photo where this is mounted. It’s too zoomed in to tell if it’s DS or PS. But I think I can figure out where to mount it. Does the A/C cutout switch plug into the amplifier?

I guess I misunderstood how the swap works. I assumed you deleted the factory Toyota engine ECU since the 6BT is mechanical. But I guess you still have to keep it for all of the accessory items like ignition, starting, A/C, lights, etc.

Is that correct?

No you are correct the ECU gets pulled and can be sold. The amplifier remains with the truck...but the factory harness still has circuits that you need to retain to run the truck.

Custom high clearance bumper is all finished and off to the powdercoaters.

I have been using a pair of ENO drive-on hammock hangers for the past year, but they are heavy and bulky to carry in the cruiser.

Incorporating hammock hangers directly into the bumper will allow me to stop carrying the heavy ENO units.

The Slee rear bar has a 44 degree angle on the wing plates, so for consistency used that same angle on both the front and rear bumpers when adding the tube sleeves.

The front hanger tube is 1.75" .120 wall and the rear is 1.25" .120 wall...this allows the rear tube to nest inside the front tube for space saving storage inside the cruiser. I plan to strap to the base of my Speski rack running left to right as it will be super easy to pull out through the gullwings.
3074_1552761715393.jpeg
3075_1552761718707.jpeg
3077_1552761724489.jpeg
3076_1552761721863.jpeg
2862_1552359521836.jpeg

Once back from powder, will get it mounted up, install the 3 Baja Designs LP9's, 21" light bar and the comup 12.5 winch that I had on the ARB.

Last edited:
Have you test fit the winch? I had to cut some off the ends of the fairlead mount to get the winch to fit.
Measured the dimensions and it appears to fit...didnt actually place it on though...hopefully it fits or I'll be getting it recoated.

Measured the dimensions and it appears to fit...didnt actually place it on though...hopefully it fits or I'll be getting it recoated.
Going to pick it up from the powdercoaters and make sure the winch fits and modify as needed...thanks for the heads up Adam.

Those hammock hanger tubes are both .120 wall, FYI. ;) Unless you bend one, then they can be made of thickerness.

Those hammock hanger tubes are both .120 wall, FYI. ;) Unless you bend one, then they can be made of thickerness.
Fixed...I clearly wasn't paying close enough attention.

Last edited:
Yeah if yours is pressed on, you won't have much luck with a 2 or 3 jaw puller. This is the setup I have and would have used if needed.

These tools are miller specialty made by snap-on.

Puller: 6444
Collar for 5th Gear: 6449

There are 6 different size collars in the set, i used most of them during the rebuild, but you only need 6449 if you are only doing the 5th gear.

View attachment 1201025View attachment 1201026View attachment 1201027View attachment 1201028View attachment 1201029

Where did you purchase the Miller Specialty tool set for pulling the gears?

Where did you purchase the Miller Specialty tool set for pulling the gears?
Its been a while, but I beleive I got them off ebay after sourcing the Miller part numbers from forums.

This morning we test fit the Comeup Seal Gen2 12.5RS winch and it fit without needing any mods. It was very close on the gear case side, but all good. The motor side had plenty of clearance. Heading back for powder on Monday.
20190406_110717.jpg

20190406_110652.jpg

20190406_110711.jpg

You can see that the high clearance design requires trimming the bottom corner of the frame rails and thus the bottom leading edge of my intercooler had to be modified to make room.
20190406_102526.jpg

Modified rear @sleeoffroad bumper to hold the rear hammock pole...loving this feature.
20190406_102713.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom